Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on the girls

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It has been 8 months since Meadow's epilepsy diagnosis. We have had a challenge cycling through different meds and combinations to control her seizures to an acceptable level. We used milder ones at first that don't affect their livers, but it wasn't working. Started Phenobarbital 2 1/2 weeks ago. Had to check if it was at therapeutic blood levels so Wednesday she had a vet visit for labs. The good news is, the level is perfect according to my vet, her liver is super healthy also. And no seizures for 3 1/2 weeks.

At first she got ataxia, (from the Pheno) which is where they lose balance and coordination, but that is transitory and sure enough it is gone now. It was hard to see her wiping out while playing and I was afraid she'd injure herself. But it has resolved and now she can run and leap and play with no issues. I feel like I am finally able to breathe.

Faith is 4 1/2 months into what I was told was probably a 6 month prognosis (brain tumors). She is going to beat that by a mile though. Her seizures are very infrequent and NOT increasing as predicted. No other symptoms. The prednisone she's now on has taken away her arthritis issues and she is running and playing and so very happy. She and Eli are back to Nosework classes and my instructor is amazed, she hasn't lost a step and you wouldn't know there was a thing wrong.

I am trying my very best to live in the moment, although at times I get very upset about Faith. She is such an awesome girl and at 11, just not that old. I thought we'd have many more years together.

Anyway I thought I would update on what's been happening.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Piper's mom, Caro, woof and 6 others like this.
  2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm so glad to hear Faith is beating the odds. While losing them is always awful, at least getting close to average age makes you feel a tad less robbed. I agree 11 seems way too young.
    Having spent a year fruitlessly searching for answers for Benny, I'm so happy Meadow has found a good working solution! Poor lil girl.
    (Titers have shown repeatedly how over vaxed our pups are. glad she's good for now)

Piper's mom, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Margi, I'm sorry Benny is still having issues, was hopeful your new medication would help him. :(

Piper's mom, Ann, Cindy and 4 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Great update on your girls; sounds like it was a bit of a journey to get there though.

Piper's mom, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It's so good to hear that Faith and Meadow are doing well, Sharon. Thanks for the update...good news is always welcome! Fingers are crossed and positive thoughts that it continues for a very long time. Pats to both!

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Faith is just amazing. So great that she's enjoying life so much and wow, getting back into scent work.

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    glad meadow has stabilized with her meds. she is a sweet baby girl :) maybe one day pico will behave himself and they will be buddies.

faith is having a little renaissance. and loving it!

8. PuppyLovin

PuppyLovin Forums Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Utah
    Sending lots of love to your babies!

Piper's mom, Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so happy to hear both Faith and Meadow are still going strong!
    I’ll say a prayer that their good health continues!:hugs

RikyR, Sharon7 and Ron Atkinson like this.