Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tri color or ?? Puppy coat transition

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by logan Allphin, Apr 30, 2020.

1. logan Allphin

logan Allphin Forums Novice

Dec 31, 2019
    I have a 4.5 month old tri color boy out a blue merle dam and a tri color sire. I have had him for 3.5 weeks and while when I first brought him home he was obviously tri colored...with the exception of the dusty look to his undercoat. But as time has went on his coat becomes more and more grey. In natural light he is very grey! I have never seen this and intended to use him in conformation. (I know that this is a fault) I still think the color is beautiful...just wondered if maybe it is something more? Or possibly just a transition coat? None of my other tris coats have went thru this phase. Thank you!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Is it possible that he is what is called a cryptic merle. I have a two-year old tri boy that is a crytic merle meaning he carries the merle gene. His mother was a sable and his father a blue merle. He has blue "chips" in his eyes and has some lighter fur on his back and sides that is becoming more evident the older he gets. He looked completely tri when he was a puppy. I guess you won't really know what color his fur will be until he is about three-years old and gets his full adult coat.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. logan Allphin

Dec 31, 2019
    Could be! I did send a color panel out they pawprint genetics so that might help! I will try to find a way to post a picture today!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Sounds to be like he could be self-colored or dilute.

Attached Files:

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. logan Allphin

Dec 31, 2019

I have been researching the dilute gene. Thanks!

6. logan Allphin

Dec 31, 2019
    Update: he's 8 months old now and his color completely reverted back to a solid black tri lol ‍♀️

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    That is really funny, I thought with a sable crossed with blue merle you only get sable and sable merle, not a Tri. I just got a sable merle puppy end of March from this kind of breeding. But I'm certainly not an expert on genetics.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. logan Allphin

Dec 31, 2019
    His sire is a tri color, not a sable :)

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so a blue merle is a tri with merle. sables can be pure for sable, tri with sable or bi with sable but sable is dominant so the dog will be a sable. the blue merle could be tri/tri or tri/bi- the merle is separate from base color. so depending on what is there if you bred a bi sable (sable color) to a bi/tri merle (blue merle), you could get every color- sable, tri and bi - and any, all or none of those could get merled.
    Cran and Dixie came from a tri/sable father and a tri merle (blue merle) mother so there were sables, tris, one blue merle and one sable merle.
    Destin is a bi blue merle so his father was a bi/bi merle and his mother was a bi black- got to get the bi gene from both parents to be a bi..................

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I think some breeders inject a Tri into a Sable line to get Mahogany Sables. Sca was a Tri but all the other dogs in the kennel were Sables. I think that was part of why he did not recognize himself in the mirror, he thought he was Sable.

Piper's mom, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.