Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Robots...?

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Kaye, May 8, 2016.

1. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    OK, not really a tech question, but how to interpret it is beyond my tech level, so I figured this was the most likely forum to ask my question...:)

When I log into the site, up in the corner, I can see a little box that says something like "3 users, 17 guests, and 32 robots"

I figure the 3 users are paid members? Maybe the 17 guests are non-paid members. But who/what are all those robots??

Are they spiders/skimmers? Site programs? Advertising cookies? Who are the robots?

- Kaye (caffienating as I type, but no amount of caffiene is going to level me up, techwise...I've tried)

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Users are registered users, guests are people viewing the forum without having created an account. Robots are automated crawlers for search engines. So if I go type a sheltie related search in Google, if there is a new topic on the forum about it, it will come up in the search results. They can also take a "snapshot" of what the forum looks like at a certain point in time for a cached view. Like the wayback machine.

k9kreationz likes this.
  3. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Thank you! :)