Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy expectations

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Aug 30, 2023.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Angus was a big howler. Tried to find a video but can't on this machine. I bet Pico is super cute doing it.

RikyR and Ron Atkinson like this.
  2. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    Then at two they go thru that "puppyhood" thing again at least to an extent but in dog years they are 14 so that probably explains most of it... at least they don't start asking for the keys to the car and know more than their parent about just about everything..

3. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    But they still want to go for car rides if you're going anywhere even if it's not fun :)

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I always say one of the many good things about puppies is that you don't have to send them to college or give them weddings......... :lol:

woof, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Or teach them to drive....

Deacon is a howler.... For some reason the word 'Peek-a-boo' sets him off. When hubby travels, he can get him going when we're video chatting. The last time hubby traveled, any time we'd chat, Deacon would get SO worked up; hyper almost immediately when he heard and saw hubby cuz he just knew that word was going to sneak into a conversation somehow or other....

RikyR, woof, Ann and 3 others like this.
  6. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    It has been odd but all our Shelties have never wanted to go for a ride-- we've used crates to carry them and we used harnesses that buckle to the seat belt (which they seem to like better than the crates) but none of them "want" to go for a ride and sort of give us a resigned grimmace.. They like being in new places but whenever we went to visit relative they would love being there and when it was time to go home they just said-"nah we are happy here"- they were happy when we got home. All of our other breeds of dogs have loved the car--we used to go back packing and we had an Irish setter who would hook his paw thru the shoulder straps of our back pack when we brought them out of the closet so that bag did not go anywhere without him..He would go into a panic when we loaded the car cause he was the last thing we loaded and he was soooo worried that we would forget him.

RikyR, Ann, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  7. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    That's not the way it is at my house. Anytime I head for the door Teddy is ready to go. I use a harness and seatbelt connection
    It maybe most places we go, want to give him a treat regardless if it's the bank or the drivethru and he knows he gets the 'good stuff" if I go to the coffee shop. :)

woof, RikyR, Ann and 2 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I ask Piper if he wants to go for a car ride and he starts this hilarious whine/howl…my mom jokes that he’s singing. He will not leave my side until we head out the door for the car. He doesn’t care where we’re going so long as he’s coming along. Finnie loves his car rides too but he doesn’t get as excited as Piper and Blueberry if she sees me holding her collar she’ll run away …she’s not a fan of going to the car but once in the car she’s ok. Until she throws up…lol

9. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    When Dewey was alive he threw up in the car every time on the way home from puppy class. It was a treat based reward training and they never seemed to make it home inside the dog. The only good thing is I never had to worry about him gaining weight attending his class.
    He never got past the level 1 class (took it 9 times) but he had a good time which is why I kept taking him. He did learn allot but I never believed he was ready to be off leash which was their level 2 course.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Piper did level 1 three times lol and then I found a good trainer. Piper did go on and get his OTCH in obedience right before Covid hit and EVERYTHING shut down here for a year. I think that’s why Piper likes his car rides so much.
    And Blueberry is the same as your Dewey…the food never stays with her. I’m usually 1 minute from home when it comes back up (from a 40 minute drive lol).

RikyR, Sandy in CT, Ann and 1 other person like this.