Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper loves his raw

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Piper's mom, May 3, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    So I'd been thinking off and on about switching Piper over to a raw diet and after watching Pet Fooled I decided to switch him. I'm transitioning him over to 100% raw so right now he gets just under 1/2 cup of kibble and 1/4 cup of raw and 1/2 of a chicken back a day. I must say he absolutely loves it, his poops are good and his breath doesn't smell ( I do need to get a bib for him because he likes to lay down and eat his bone and he tends to get a bit messy lol). I started him on raw last Saturday and I'd never seen him so happy as when it's time for his bone 'snack', he starts to spin and cry (very very happy excited cry I'd never heard before). We also have a meat market a block away and they're going to order me 10 kgs of chicken backs so he'll be good for a while (they can be hard to come by). Very happy I switched (and so is he) and love the fact that I know what he's eating. Definitely not going back. Quick question though, for those who feed raw do you give any supplements? The recipe I used (from a former obedience trainer) calls for vitamin E and C. There are veggies in it carrots, cabbage, (can be varied) green leafy (2 1/2 cups) 3 bananas 2 apples as well as cottage cheese, yogurt and oatmeal and 3 eggs with shells as well as 4 lbs meat (chicken, pork, beef etc) and 1 pound of liver. There's a few more ingredients that I didn't mention , it's quite a mix and takes me an hour to put together but well worth it.

2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I don't see heart listed in your ingredients. Granted dogs don't need as much taurine as cats but they need some so I always add heart to my dog's mix (heart is a muscle meat not organ). I add salmon oil and coconut oil daily. I dropped the dairy, it gives the boys the runs. I have a cheap bottle of dog multivitamins and I give them one every few days, but it's probably more for my peace of mind. Just in case there's something they're missing! I never gave my last two shelties any and they never had a sick day in their lives...
    I made up big batch of my mix for the guys this morning...got 57 days in freezer :)

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks for that info Margi. Heart can be hard to find sometimes so I didn't have any to add but I did pick one up 2 days ago for the next batch. It weighs probably between 1-2 lbs, would I add all of it ( ground up of course). For the yogurt I use a Greek fat free and Piper has no issues so that's good because he loves it, he comes running when he hears me open a container because he gets to clean it out lol

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Live long and prosper Piper! Your mom is making sure of that!

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Turkey Necks are only 6%...
    turkey.jpg

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Laddie is such a gobbler that I would be afraid he would try to swallow chunks...

Did anyone try this on a dog with Pancreatitis?

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I'm a little puzzled as to why the fat content would be so high. Doesn't seem as though anything with chicken is that fatty.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Is it because the fat is on the bone? The picture show quite a bit of skin left on the bone...

10. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I pull the skin and fat off the backs, so there's nothing fatty on them...
    Most of the turkey necks I get here are the toms and they are huge. Turkey bones are hard and give a good workout on jaws and teeth. Keep your eye on him first time and see how he chews. It's a staple here. I get them for about 1.79 lb.