Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Picky Eater Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Ann, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I forgot to mention too, when Tully was off her food I'd actually bake it in the oven or make little tuna patties (and oven bake or light pan fry), she liked it crunchy and warm. And I think she thought it was like human food!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! No luck last night. I tried mixing cottage cheese with his food and he just licked the cottage cheese off the kibble and left it. :ick This morning I tried my last-dtich, go-to solution and mixed yogurt with the food and he nearly cleaned it up. The freeze-dried food is coming today, (ordered yesterday, love Chewy!) so I'll try that with dinner.

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Best of luck at dinnertime, Ann! When Ally was ill with kidney disease and pancreatitis we jumped through hoops every meal time for 6 months.... it is so frustrating. Hope the new food works and he's a clean-plater!

Ann likes this.
  4. Mar

Mar Forums Novice

Apr 9, 2019
    Hi Ann,

I can relate to your frustrations with food! I am glad you found some yogurt that works! My previous Sheltie had stage 4 kidney disease when we adopted him and I vividly remember nights crying trying to get him to eat. I agree with alot of the above suggestions like bone broth and cheese like foods. We found GREAT success with Hilarys Blend foods. It's a homemade food with recipes and my pup with kidney disease liked it so much that he actually gained weight. Which is rare for renal problems. She has lots of recipes that use all sorts of different meat products. Most Vets will have her info for renal diets but we bought her stuff on Pets Drug Mart online. It can be expensive to get started because of the recipe book and suppliment you need to buy. But all 3 of my picky eaters, 2 cats and a dog, loved her recipes. Eggs were also a go to for us. We would boil and egg and then crumble it in his soft food which encouraged him to eat. Or naturally smoked bacon and bacon grease. Not the healthiest but small amounts which we phased out over a few days.
    Hope the yogurt and freeze dried food continues to work!

Ann likes this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Ann, how is your pup liking the new food? Hope he's eating well.

Ann likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My vet said to try human baby food when my dogs got old and frail and stopped eating... Heating it to release the aroma's like Caro suggested?

Caro and Ann like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm afraid to say it but so far, so good, Sharon. The first night, he didn't eat much of it. Then yesterday morning, I gave it to him with no supplements or anything mixed in and he cleaned his bowl! I gave him his supplements separately mixed with his favorite yogurt, so he got those down too (since there are several he really needs). Ate dinner again last night, and breakfast this morning. I'd like to say we're on a roll, but there have been times where his interest in something new peters out.

I do think that mixing supplements in with his food is part of the problem. He's always been finicky about anything that doesn't belong in his bowl. I do use baby food, and pumpkin...he loves both, but Stoneyfield Organic yogurt will get him eating every time. So far!

Thanks for checking, and all the tips, everyone! For anyone who might be interested, I'm feeding him Grandma Lucy's Artisian Freeze-Dried Complete Chicken formula. They make several varieties: lamb, venison, pork and a few others. If this works, I'll keep him on it, rotating the proteins. It's a bit more expensive but still cost effective and sure smells fresh and yummy!

Hanne, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Callie was on Grandma Lucy's the last year or so- she had either rabbit or turkey.....
    it really did smell good....

Ann likes this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    You're so lucky to have such a wide variety of foods to try. There is literally only one food that Tully can eat now and it's full of corn and makes her fart and poop a lot. No wonder she's helping herself to dead pigeon.

Ann likes this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Well, now he's renenging on the freeze-dried too. The only way I'm getting him to eat is to mix yogurt with it and can't even get him to eat it all that way. I started him on a round of docycyclene this morning for his Lyme disease. He's had recurrences through the years that don't always manifest with typical symptoms, and the last time he stopped eating we treated him with doxy and it resolved. So I'm going to call my vet in the morning and get some more and hope this does the trick.

Sharon7 likes this.