Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

OK fess up, what are your Sheltie's quirks?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Feb 16, 2024.

1. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    WE too have sneeze chaos in our house- when I sneeze the dogs leave the room then come back and look at me, when my wife sneeze they are all in her face barking like a burglar just broke in.

2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    :yuckyuck

TBH, this whole thread has been such a hoot! Every new addition provides a chuckle. These puppers are treasures in more ways than one!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’ve resigned myself that most of their quirks are set (and there are too many to count)! The funniest is that they learn to spell (or how quickly they pick up a new one lol) when you try to change it up. We get the odd fly in the house (which has created the quirk of barking at the blind being raised and when they see the swatter) and I’d say ‘crap…there’s a fly’ and suddenly have a chorus of barking. So I started to spell it ‘there’s an F. L. Y.’ and I was good for a week or two when suddenly I spelled it and got the barking! I know it’s association but still why do they learn bad habits so quickly?
    Finnie has learned when I say “I’m going to check the mail” he starts barking like a mad dog….i don’t say it all the time but just from the odd time I’ve said that he’s picked up I’m going to open the front door!
    And they HATE the step stool….i don’t know if they’re afraid I’m going to fall off but they will be the cause of the fall as Piper has even tried to nip my ankle:ROFLMAO: although he is the first to settle down when I have to raise my voice.

RikyR, Sandy in CT, Margi and 2 others like this.
  4. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Not only do they learn spelling but Oberon knows the expressions "feed the dog", "food", and "go on a walk" in English, Pig Latin, Yiddish and French. We're trying now to learn those expressions in Hebrew ...

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    And I’m sure it won’t take long for him to learn it in Hebrew quickly as well!:ROFLMAO:
    They pick up the bad habits faster than anything!

6. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    We find that swedish works for awhile at least...

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    1AM my Orange lightning detector goes off. Running around barking. So I pick him up and put him on the bed as sometimes I can get him to settle down and me sleep. Nope Ian goes wild as Spitfire is on the bed. So of course Spitfire runs around the bed barking to illustrate to Ian who is king.

I pick up Ian, Spitfire stops barking. Goes to the thickest pile of covers and turns on the Sheltie gravity generator so I cannot get back under the covers fully.

mimiretz, RikyR, Ron Atkinson and 5 others like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Omg, Sheep, that got a good guffaw outta me.
    Have you tried slowly sliding your toes under the gravity generator until you at least get your leg stretched out some under the covers? Works for me when Fil decides to be the hypotenuse of the triangle on my queen size bed! And I'm curled in the fetal position...
    And this thread was about THEIR quirks--maybe should have been about ours! ;)

RikyR, Ron Atkinson, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Teddy has even learned when I count 1,2,3, better to get moving cause Dad is going to move his bu** and get up and you don't wanna get scrunched.

Sandy in CT, Margi, Ann and 3 others like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Bonnie will attack our feet when we're getting into bed. She sounds like a feral fox! She also hates paper towels (go figure).