Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Luna is now a cardiac alert service dog!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by kazie, Dec 4, 2023.

1. kazie

kazie Forums Regular

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    I got Luna as a puppy five years ago. She has been and is the joy of my life.

I never thought of having her as a service dog because I had no need of a service animal. All that changed when my blood pressure became a huge health issue. With the help of a professional trainer, and because of all her previous training, (and because Sheltie's are so smart) she learned quickly to recognize the scent when my blood pressure reaches dangerous levels and alert me. This allows me to take necessary steps to lower the levels. It gives me such a sense of security knowing she is tuned in to my health.

Dogs can be trained to recognize heart issues, blood pressure fluctuations, diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, seizures and so much more. It's amazing what these wonderful animals can do.

The training was intense and took a lot of time and several short training sessions per day, but we have always loved working together. In the past, we have done agility, rattlesnake aversion, good citizen, obedience, and off-leash training to name a few. This was one more bonding step in our life together.

As I said at the start, I never imagined I would need this, but how glad I am Luna was able to give me this gift when I did. She is a wonder!

KarenCurtis, Chris, Ann and 5 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Amazing to read!!!! So happy you have Luna!

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    That is so cool! They are indeed wonderful dogs!

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Awesome that Luna has stepped up to help you in this way! Shelties are indeed amazing. Another member here also has a dog that alerts him to BP problems.
    Any chance you can post a link to a photo of Luna the wonder dog? :)

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  5. kazie

kazie Forums Regular

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    Sure. Here she is:
    I certainly would if I could figure out how.

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    If you have a photo sharing site, like vimeo or shutterfly etc, or even FB you can post a link to the photo here. Or, if you join as a premium member here, you can post photos directly.

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Congratulations to Luna!!

Ron Atkinson likes this.