Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I Surrender

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Chris, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I'm dealing with a senior doxie right now - I think he is senile... but for a dog who eats basically everything, when you have a bad day, you feed whatever you can. I was feeding him a senior food but he dropped an insane amount of weight. We are dealing with kidney issues as well, but to be honest, we are on the last leg with him so my main concern right now is just getting him through for a bit. Our daughter is home for a week in August, we want him past that date for sure. The kids are so uber attached to him.... I feed him anything he eats - that could be Brodie's normal food or on bad days Deacon's puppy formula. I know it is bad for his kidneys, but he eats it. I buy Costco chicken broth (it's a really good broth!) and also their bone broth and add it to his foods days he is reluctant. I admit to even feeding him canned cat food sometimes. It's basically just whatever you can get into them because the weight loss is so scary! So forget what the reviews say, if Penny and Loki will eat it - it's a 10 in my book!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh Lord yes, for like forever! They've had chicken broth, bone broth... Augh!!

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    The legacy of Sca still holds in my house. A bowl with something in it belonged to the owner only while they stood there. Otherwise all food belonged to Sca and was eliminated. After he passed Spitfire was so used to that he always finished (and in true Spitfire style tried to steal Angus's while he was still there before I put a stop to that). Now Angus eats faster than Spitfire but once done Spitfire goes and checks Angus's bowl just in case. I think I could fill their bowls with sawdust.

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Chris, one of the things that kept my Dante eating well as his condition declined during his final couple of months was the little jars of Gerber baby meats...esp the turkey or beef. Maybe mixing a little of those Gerber baby meats into their food would make a difference?
    Trini

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Don't feel bad at all. If someone can prove to me that the top rated foods help make dogs live longer and stay healthier, I'd switch, but there's no evidence of it. The only reason I don't feed the pro plan varieties with corn in it is because Sandstorm gets constipated on it, so I feed the pro p!an without the corn. Purina makes much crappier foods than Purina one, it's not kibble and bits, and their quality controll is very good, and Minnie's breeder feeds Purina one!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I remember the very old days (1962) when there was one Purina: Dog Chow. My cocker spaniel lived 16 years and ate nothing but.

7. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My parents fed our sheltie pedigree dog food pretty much her entire life and she lived to be 15.5. And it wasn't that long ago. You feed what you can afford and what your dog likes. Don't stretch your budget just to feed what you think is the best of the best. I try not to judge people on what they feed their dogs unless it's dangerous. You just don't know their situation, why they're feeding it.