Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Anyone else with Maltese blue shelties? Are they healthy?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Sunny, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Sunny

Sunny Forums Novice

Oct 11, 2016
    MN
    Hello, I have a new pup that I believe is a Maltese blue. She has a dark gray nose and is slate gray with white markings (bi-black diluted to blue with no apparent merleing). I have been reading about cyclic nuetropenia aka Gray Collie Syndrome. According to several sites dilute gray collies don't live past age 2-3 due to recurrent infections. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this color in shelties? Can I expect a normal lifespan with her? Or should I get her DNA tested for CN?

Thanks in advance.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Can you post a picture of the pup? You'll need to post a picture on an image sharing site and then put the link in a post here. Often the coat colour is hard to tell when they still have a puppy coat.

If the Sheltie is a Maltese blue, it is a blue merle with solid grey coat. They aren't any more prone to health problems than any other Sheltie colour, it's just not a recognised colour in the show ring. You might find this article useful for explaining this http://www.colliehealth.org/COLLIE KALEIDOSCOPEphotos.pdf

I've never heard of Grey Collie Syndrome in Shelties, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Maybe someone else here has experience with it. I imagine that a registered breeder would've noticed if they had an affected puppy as they are quite sickly little things.

3. Sunny

Sunny Forums Novice

Oct 11, 2016
    MN
  4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My dog's dam is a carrier of the dilution gene. The dam had a littermate that was a dilute bi-black, and I know that littermate had a couple dilute pups. My dog's dam produced a dilute bi-black in her first litter. As far as I know, there have been no health issues.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't believe there are any health issues associated with dilute shelties. I know of a couple around here -- one is an active agility dog probably around 3-4 years old.