Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Acana + Wholesome grains. Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Elei, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Acana has some new dry dog food formulas that include grain, and I am considering switching Kip onto one of them when I switch off puppy food. The new formulas are "Red Meat + Wholesome Grains" and "Free Run Poultry + Wholesome grains". The only problem is that I can't find where to buy it. I checked Amazon & Petco, and can't find it. My local petco has most Acana formulas, but not these. Maybe they're too new. Anyone know where to get the + Wholesome grains formulas?
    Thanks!

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Does Chewy.com cover Hawaii? That's where we get our food from. Make sure the "wholesome grains" don't include peas/lentils/other legumes. That seems to be what they are investigating for the DCM issues. I think Acana was one of the brands implicated, but I can't remember for sure.

Elei likes this.
  3. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I'll check chewy.com. Thanks!
    No, it doesn't have legumes or potatoes, which is why I was interested in it. I don't feed 'grain free' anymore because of the DCM scare, and its so hard finding dog food that fits my criteria. I'm also looking at Blue Buffalo & Wellness, but those both contain peas, just farther down the ingredient list.

Here's the new Acana formulas: https://acana.com/usa/our-foods/dog-foods/acana-dog/free-run-poultry-grains/

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I haven't seen those new Acana formulas. we switch around brands/flavors and have just started switching over to this food.
    after one of the recalls several years ago, I decided I didn't want to be stuck on just one food/brand so we wouldn't be in a situation where we had to suddenly switch because we couldn't get what they'd been eating.

Elei likes this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I switched to Fromm Gold with all the DCM info out there as it has no peas. There is a retailer in Hawaii that carries Fromm. Many brands are using peas for protein; some in high amounts - check that out in the new Acana foods. Also watch the protein content. There are old posts here discussing shelties and the percentage of protein in their foods. Purina has a few lines with lower protein, decent ingredients, no peas and they have a great search feature to narrow down things you want to look for. There are a few here on Purina diets that are happy. Brodie was on Savor when we got him, but stopped eating it. Both dogs are thriving on the Fromm; great coats and great poops except when they get too many treats!

How are you liking the Earthborn Hollistic? Their new Unrefined line looks interesting!

Elei and Hanne like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Also Fromm adult Gold here :wink2:
    yes, the poop is every dog owner's dream -- every single day :yes: :yes: :yes:

Minnie always gets her food as treats so no bad poops here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Elei, Ann and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I like the look of the Fromm. I'll see if I can get some.

Hanne likes this.
  8. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    The '+Wholesome grains' formulas are legume free, which is why I was interested in them. Its so frustrating trying to find a food that doesn't have peas high in the ingredient list!!

Sharon7 likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we've used various formulas of EH- they've all been pretty good. dogs like them so that's always good....

10. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I have used Fromm (not the grain-free flavors) for years. That is all my 14 year old has ever been on, and have had great success with it. Both my younger dogs were on various raw and grain-free foods a couple of years ago and were diagnosed with mild heart murmurs that went away after I switched them both to Fromm too. I believe that the legumes are the culprit in the DCM issue and avoid any food or treats that contain them.

Hanne, Ann, Elei and 2 others like this.