Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What size crate/dog do you have?

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by k9kreationz, Aug 6, 2012.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I've discussed this a bit with Kelly and I'm going to create a photo gallery of dogs in their crates. For now, I'll host it on my smugmug account and maybe later, we can move it to SN. :)

Here's my idea. Many times people come here asking about crate size and they give us their dog size. Even if a dog is 15", as we all know, the dog could be big-boned, long bodied, short legged, etc. So, I was thinking, if I created a gallery of dogs (by size), and someone came here, we could direct them to look at, say the 15" dogs and they could see what matches. How a 15" dog looks in a 30" wire crate, a 28" vari-kennel, a 36" soft-crate, etc. I think it'd be a good starting ground to help someone choose a crate.

Oh, and smugmug is searchable, so you can search for 15" or 30" height crate, etc.

I'm hoping you guys think this is an awesome idea and are willing to send me photos of your pup in his/her crate.

Here's some info I think I need (let me know if you think otherwise).
    The starred items I'm not sure about.

-Height (at withers)
    -Weight*
    -Length (lying down, from tip of nose to butt - um, maybe I need some correct terminology)
    -Body type* (not sure if we need this)
    -Crate type (wire, soft, plastic, etc)
    -Crate size (list dimensions if known - or tell me what kind and I can track down the size online)
    -Crate fit: comfy (correctly fitted) or spacious (extra room for whatever reason)
    -Dog name*
    -Owner SN handle*

I'm thinking the last two, only if someone wants to specifically talk to them about their crate, then they can look them up and PM them. Thoughts?

If you think this is an awesome idea. Post your info here with a link to the photo OR email me: 2shelties4me at gmail dot com

If anyone is worried about privacy, I'm going to make the album accessible by link only, however, it is on a public forum, so if you don't feel comfy, then don't submit a photo.

Ask questions. Offer suggestions. I'm completely open to hearing your ideas/thoughts. I just thought that sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we're willing- just may take me a little while to get photos of dogs in crates:winkgrin:

3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    It's okay, we can build this slowly. :) I need to get a photo of mine in their crates too. ;)

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    maybe you should also take pix of the positions that you want measurements for- like the laying down pose...... just so we consistently measure that and whatever else you mentioned.

I can give heights at the shoulder since the pups have height cards- and a fair estimate of weights too.....

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Good idea. Let's see if Koji will cooperate. He did. He was so sweet. Such a silly boy.
    NOTE: You do NOT have to submit these photos, it's so you understand how to measure your dog.

Here's Koji being measured for length
    I would say he's 31" long. Although I know he's not completely stretched out.

Koji being measured for height
    It's not perfect, but you get the idea. Wow he's tall. LOL

As for body type, you're going to have to guess. I know Koji is thin and lanky. But how to measure for that, no clue.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Great idea! I'm in.

I'll see if I can send some stuff your way in the next couple days.

7. bwibwigouza

bwibwigouza Forums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Love the idea too. Mozart is one oversized sheltie. I've got a few pics of him in his crate already just need to get his measurements. Like the idea how you get Koji to lie on his side to take the length and stand by the tape measure to do the height. I'll have to try that with Mozart....its usually hard to make him stand still to measure the height.

8. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Great idea! Once we get unpacked, I'll measure Olive and her wooden crate and take pictures (DH built it before we knew what dog we were getting so it could fit a dog several inches bigger than her... like my ILs' golden) everything else is pretty standard.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Good idea. I just have one crate - which all three fit into. I will try and get pictures and measurements to you when I can. Unfortunately, I don't have much room for more than one crate - hence the single crate.

10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Just posting to bump this up. :)

I need photos people!

Granted, I do need to get photos of Koji in his too.