Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Titer Testing... SO JUST HOW LONG DO YOUR PET’S SHOTS LAST?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by ghggp, Jun 21, 2022.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    13064471_1066378180103730_5592043903218821586_o.jpg
    SO JUST HOW LONG DO YOUR PET’S SHOTS LAST?
    Definitely longer than a year!
    According to the top pet immunologist (aka vaccine expert) in the world, Dr. Ronald Schultz, Ph.D. – “ Annual revaccination provides no benefit and may increase the risk for adverse reactions.”
    What the heck are adverse reactions (or side effects)?
    Well according to the other rock star pet immunologist Dr. Jean Dodds:
    “Side effects from dog vaccinations can occur anywhere from instantly up to several weeks or months later. Vaccines can even cause susceptibility to chronic diseases that appear much later in a dog’s life (Dodd, 2001).
    Severe and fatal adverse reactions include:
    •Susceptibility to infections.
    •Neurological disorders and encephalitis.
    •Aberrant behavior, including unprovoked aggression.
    •Vaccines are linked to seizures. Distemper, parvovirus, rabies and, presumably, other vaccines have been linked with poly neuropathy, a nerve disease that involves inflammation of several nerves. (Dodds,2001)”
    SO HOW LONG EXACTLY DOES YOUR PET’S VACCINE LAST?
    According to the recommendations of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), (basically the dudes who set the standards for the vets): “Among healthy dogs, all commercially available [core] vaccines are expected to induce a sustained protective immune response lasting at least 5 yr. thereafter”
    Here’s the breakdown of the core vaccines from Dr. Ronald Schultz:
    Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:
    Distemper- 7 years by challenge
    Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge
    Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge
    Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge
    The moral of the story here, if you have no idea when your pet is due or has been vaccinated, then just run a titer test and this will confirm if you are due, rather than over-vaccinate your poor pet, setting the stage for future problems!
    What’s a titer test?
    A titer test (pronounced tight-errr) is a laboratory or in-house veterinary test measuring the existence and level of antibodies (necessary to fight off disease) in your pet’s blood. Basically, it’s a test that will tell you whether or not you actually need to vaccinate your pet.
    It’s also super useful when making a decision about vaccinating a pet with an unknown vaccination history, or for determining if pets have received immunity from vaccination.
    Vaccinating your pet is super important so don’t lose the overall message here: VACCINATE, JUST DON’T OVER-VACCINATE!
    According to Dr. Dodds:
    “Vaccines have achieved many important benefits for companion animals, and has saved more animals' lives than any other medical advance.”
    Want more on titer testing? Check it out:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153271303942028&set=pb.509362027.-2207520000.1461100680.&type=3&theater
    Rodney Habib
    "An educated, informed and well-researched community of pet owners can only put more pressure on the pet food industry to be better! When pet owners know better, they will only do better!"

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Sometimes they last even longer than that! I have all mine titered before any vaccines other than flu after their puppy shots. None of them have EVER needed another distemper/parvo vaccine. Rabies is required every 3 years but that's all mine get, and after age 13 I don't do any.

Sharon7, ghggp, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I don't give any after puppy shots either, other than rabies and I stopped those on Koko at 10. I think there are some states that allow titers for rabies but I don't live in such a realistic state sadly....

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree 100% as well, especially after what happened with Blueberry after her second set of puppy shots! I titer but I do the rabies vaccination although Blueberry still hasn’t had it. I’m on the fence with her, I’ve been told by some to not do any vaccines after a reaction.
    On a different subject did anyone notice with their heart worm the vet pushing Interceptor Plus? I didn’t notice until I got to my car and thought what is this…read the package and it’s for heartworm and round worms and a couple other kinds…my dogs have never had worms of any kind. Just thought it was wrong of them to not even ask if I wanted this one. I took it back in and got the regular Interceptor. They get enough chemicals and after Riley with his enlarged liver and Blueberry with her twitch I tend to question the things these drug companies do. Just my rant lol

Margi, Sharon7, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I always did the regular shots for Layla because of international travel. I just didn't want any hassle. But yeah, titer's are great.

Sharon7, ghggp, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    The one downside is places that require proof of vaccination - most don't accept titers. I do want to talk to my current vet to see what their pros/cons are for vaccinations. I always understood it that many folks won't do the annual visit if they aren't under the 'he MUST have shots' protocol. But I am happy to bring my pets in for annual checks ups. In fact, one of the reasons we went with a mobile vet for many years was because we had seniors and I don't dose my seniors but I did want them to be seen by a vet. My current vet does both their in house and my in house visits so this is a reminder for me to ask!

Rabies is required here in CT every 3 years, I need proof of it for a dog license. I do see on my rabies shots that a 5 year is listed so want to inquire on that next time we are up for it. I was told by the vet that the 1 year and 3 year are the same shot, same dose, so wonder if the 5 year is similar. Without a license, my dog can be held at the pound. Might not happen, but it did happen to our neighbor (state police officer no less) who didn't bother with shots or license and the dog was held in the pound until they paid a vet to visit and update shots and then go through the licensing process. Another con that I experienced with one of our cats, she got ill, she was young at 5 years old but went into kidney failure - one of her kidneys was tiny (a birth defect). Being experienced with kidney disease, I was on high alert when I noticed a distinct coat change from a one night to the night after. She was brought to our vet and first thing they did was update her on her shots. I have never, ever gotten over the guilt that our poor cat was dosed to the wazoo on top of feeling ill from the failing kidneys and spent her last days with us feeling like .

Shelby's mom, Margi, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Some states will accept a waiver from the vet if your dog gets a reaction from rabies shot. I wish we had a 5 years option, and I bet dollars to donuts its the same shot like the three year/one year nonsense. How do they not get arrested for fraud??

Ann, Piper's mom, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I agree, but unfortunately like Sandy we do travel with Shelby and must have proof of vaccines and titers are not always accepted. I just wish that they were.