Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Prozac for Puppies?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Bill Porter, Jan 23, 2021.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Good luck, the offense of bouquet is a bit much.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and trini like this.
  2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    :ROFLMAO: My Panda initially sounds the alarm if ANYTHING is not exactly where it should be...that can be something as simple as a pan left in the dish drainer that I usually dry and put away immediately. But if I pick him up, let him sniff the offending object and tell him it is OK that does the trick. A new bouquet of flowers would get the alarm too. Sometimes it takes us a few minutes to figure out exactly what is causing all the distress but once we give whatever it is the "sniff and OK" routine peace returns.
    Trini

RikyR, Hanne, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2020
    Yes, things out of place or me returning from a morning hunt wearing camo will freak my poor puppy out a bit too much. The squirrel disco in the backyard is also upsetting him to an unusual degree - combined with the odd passing car in the front of our house - and it's as if the dog is constantly barking. We can deal with the barking but he's upset about it all. We hold and cuddle him with kisses and calm sounds but you can just tell he's still thinking about what has upset him. I'm not sure if medication is going to work but if it does, I'm certain he'll be happier.

Hanne, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2020
    It hasn't been this cold in Houston since 1989. There is snow on the ground that will stay a while. Remy loves it and is running around the backyard like a crazed beast. We can't stop laughing. I will try to figure out how to upload a video to share. Happy times!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That’s wonderful! Having snow is a normal event for us but I know how happy it makes my boys. Here’s hoping it stays for a bit so are my can enjoy it!

Sandy in CT and Hanne like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY handsome Remy!

TheDailyPainter likes this.
  7. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Well, perhaps it is semantics, but I would argue in many cases drugs like fluoxetine and CBD actually DO help with the "real issue".
    (ALERT- Dr. Mac lecture alert.You have been warned.)

Realize what these medications do. When one nerve fires off another at a synapse there is a delay time before it can fire the same synapse again. (The neurotransmitter chemicals need to be cleaned up.) These medications slow the "cleanup" and delay the next discharge. So, for example, you are driving down the highway and some clown cuts you off at 85 mph and gives you the finger. And you start getting upset with "Oh, you know what I'm going to do when I catch up with him- that blanket blank blank, oh I am SO going to do this and that and yell this and that...." Essentially there is an electrical cascade in your brain that is excessive. That same sort of thing happens when a dog has, say, severe separation anxiety. He hears the car door open and starts to whine, then as the engine starts he starts to jump at the door and as the car drives away he starts tearing at the walls. If that electrical cascade could be dampened to a more reasonable response he would be better off.

So essentially all I'm saying is that anxiety is merely an over reaction to a non- threat caused by stress and adrenaline. So, while trying behavioral modification to find the cause of the anxiety and try to lessen it is fine, dampening the chemical overreaction to a more normal response actually IS an attempt to correct the problem rather than merely mask the symptom.

We always say that for any behavioral problem there are two methods of treatment- behavioral modification (which generally means employing a trainer), and pharmacological. Very often the only way to get a good result is to combine both in a synergistic fashion.

DianeP, KarenCurtis, RikyR and 8 others like this.
  8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Interesting, and to some degree yes on semantics. I meant if you can lower the over all panic maybe you can train out some of them where they no longer cause panic. With a chance of reducing or eliminating the need for medications while keeping his happiness.

Give Remy a hug from us.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    EXCELLENT explanation, Dr. Mac, and so informative! Thanks so much for weighing in on this. To medicate or not is something many of us struggle with for our dogs. That makes sense and is very helpful.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Super explanation, Dr. Mac, thanks for the input. Really makes sense.

DianeP, Piper's mom and Ann like this.