Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Herding Tested

Discussion in 'Herding & Tracking' started by Calliesmom, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cranberry got entered in Herding Tested this past weekend. the local herding trial (2+ hours away in LA) had separate test judges for Sat and Sun so the trial judge didn't run over the limit- that meant that we actually got in........

it was our first ever real trial- we stopped for herding instinct one day a while back but it was two judges only doing instinct testing so the only herding that I have seen was at the ASSA Nationals in Kissimmee a few years ago. I didn't know much about it then - I'd say I only know a little more now with lots more to learn:pop
    so Cranberry passed both days and got his HT title:smile2:
    we are very tired so more to come later......................
    just had to brag before bed:winkgrin:

2. GordonDaSheltie

GordonDaSheltie Forums Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Adelaide
    well done! i've been thinking about trying Gordon out on Herding when he is old enough since he loves to herd the washing basket, birds, kids, other dogs... even our cats sometimes. Or at least we think its herding, possibly because we are in denial that he may be a bit of a "barker".

How did you teach your sheltie to herd? is it just a case of letting them loose in a paddock?:lol:

3. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Yay! We have one HT leg- we learned our lesson with the last set of trials, Olive wants me in the pen, not DH. Also, Olive probably doesn't have the leg length to keep up with sheep once we get to Started :lol:

Are you going to try for PT next or is that it for you guys?

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    That is awesome! Congrats. :smile2:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    an experienced instructor is the key to learning herding:yes:
    all my shelties except the girls lost their minds when they saw sheep for the first time but Cranberry is the only one who maintained that interest to learn to work the sheep and not just chase them around a paddock.
    it's hard in most places to find someone to teach you that isn't way far away....

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we're planning on PT this fall at the next herding trial:fl
    Don't write Olive off if you both want to do it. saw some Corgis in Advanced this weekend- if they can get around the field, so can Olive:winkgrin:

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    thank you:yes:

8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    GO CRAN! and Denise :lol:

We have a flyball team mate with sheep that thought Spitfire would do it.... still not sure what she was drinking :hide

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well- you never know until you try:winkgrin:
    Destin was into it last summer and fall but this year- he didn't care that there were sheep in the pen with him- very strange.:rolleyes2:

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That is so cool! Any pics or videos?!?