Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello Puppy Fear Period!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Cindy, Oct 28, 2023.

1. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast
    I have often wondered what our dogs hear when we have our TV on-- I have a sonic device that emits high frequency sound as a deterrent to baking-- I use it to discourage dogs that come at us when I walk my dogs but of course mu pups also really react to it-- I can't hear a thing and so yeah we live in a very different world than our dogs do sensory wise- sound-temp-colors- and a biggie... smells. We share their space and some of their world but who knows what we are missing??? Our dogs often going into a barking frenzy and rush the sliding glass doors to the outside and I see nothing there...who knows what they see/hear/smell?? Some cars drive them nuts to, others no response.. different worlds wrapped into a common space.

RikyR and Ron Atkinson like this.
  2. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I so completely understand your frustration!!! I don't recall Oberon being nearly this difficult to train. In retrospect he was the perfect puppy, although I'm sure I'm not remembering a lot of stuff and whitewashing some too. We're still working with Oreo on toileting -- he just doesn't seem to "get it". We keep trying, but then get waylaid in our plans for whatever reason (vacation, my illness, etc.). I guess we'll just keep at it (sigh). Other than that he's doing better -- he doesn't chew on everything (just most things). He's always been very attached so that's not an issue.

The best news doggie-wise is that he and Oberon are actually playing together!! I guess Oberon has accepted that Oreo's not going anywhere so they may as well have some fun. Of course most of their games are dominance ones, but whatever. Oreo at 7.5 months is almost as big as Oberon so I'm sure that helps the dynamic. And since one of our motivations for getting a second dog was so Oberon would have someone to play with which would hopefully keep him active and "younger", mission accomplished!

Calliesmom, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    pPotty training makes a HUGE difference. once I no longer had to worry about accidents and pee puddles, I could enjoy Pico more.
    And then focus on other things (like howling during the day and, you know, walking with me!).
    he no longer cries in the car if I leave him in there to use the bathroom or take out the trash.
    and when I shower, he curls up and sleeps on my bath mat after he eats his treats.
    in the evening he will curl up next to me on the couch and nap, as well.
    of course, all of this is after a LONG walk or hike :)

mimiretz, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. woof

woof Forums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008
    northeast

Cindy sounds to me like that is bonding--- progress in progress...

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    a tired puppy is a good puppy is a happy puppy :)

woof, RikyR, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.