Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello from Gulf Shores,AL

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Scout’s Mom, May 21, 2021.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Scout is a handsome lad and already getting a really full coat...love the pics.
    Trini

ghggp, Piper's mom and Scout’s Mom like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    He is SUPER cute! We've often had oversized Shelties for the same reason, more to love. Scout looks like he might be quite dark when he's mature. You won't know his full coat and final color until 2 or even 3 years of age. I love his expressive little face. Thanks for the photos.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome, Linda and Scout! We love puppy pics and stories of their adventures! We're very glad to have you with us. Enjoy the Forum!

ghggp, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Well there's precious personified! Scout you are too cute!

ghggp, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Wow...what a cutie Scout is and what a great coat he’s got at 15 weeks! Big Shelties are just more to love!

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So glad you found the Sheltie Nation Forum! A warm welcome Linda and Scout! Thanks for signing up for the premium membership! You won’t regret it!

I just love your pictures! You sound like a great trainer to have allowed Scout to have learned so many commands! Shelties are so smart!

Thanks for sharing those sweet pictures! precious personified, indeed! Can’t wait for more!;)

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Scout’s Mom

Scout’s Mom Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    So glad you enjoyed the pictures of Scout. He went to the vet for his third round of shots yesterday and she said his coat was remarkable considering his age. I asked her again about socializing him by taking him out to a few places, but she was adamant that he had to wait three more weeks until his last shots. I have heard different views on this such as after his third round of shots, the risk of his getting sick are so low that he would be able to go out. Of course, not to Pet Smart or dog parks, but other places. Can I have your opinions on this?

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I must say, I wish I had done more earlier socialization with Liam! Many breeders recommended taking them to places like Home Depot, Lowe’s, or garden centers. Bring a towel and keep them in the cart and off the ground! You should be fine.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Cannot emphasize enough how critical it is in this breed to socialize. Gloria had good suggestions. A lot more vets have become more lenient on the idea of getting them out before shots are complete. We carried Meadow a lot, and honestly, most paved areas like sidewalks and patios are pretty safe. I held her in my arms outside a grocery store so she could see all the activity, cars, shopping carts, people etc. Take Scout to lunch on an outdoor patio at a restaurant that allows this. And you can definitely start a puppy class. The effort you make now will pay off life-long for Scout. Shelties are not like Labs or Retrievers who just seem to be unfazed by most things no matter what.

ghggp, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Just curious why you guys do 4 rounds of vaccinations?
    I’d had issues with Blueberry so ended up getting her titred however my regular vet had said if your taking your pup to a place where ALL the pups have had some vaccinations then the risk is very low while the benefits are great. I’d stay away from areas though that have lots of strange dogs like dog parks and public sidewalks.

Ann likes this.