Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Handling problem

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by Herd4fun, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    I'm having a little issue with handling. Cambria sidewinds when she's on my left, but not when she's on my right. Any suggestions? If it was on both sides I'd think of it as a structure thing(Specially since she is a bit longer than tall right now) But since she does it correct once I think it might be something else

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    First... funky structural things happen in growing dogs. Different parts grow at different rates, and sometimes you'll suddenly see a "fault" (a high rear is a common one) that is really just a stage they're passing through. This could just be a phase she's going through.

Conformation training is all about teaching muscle-memory, whether standing or moving. It can be hard to train out bad behaviors while gaiting, but I've seen sidewinding addressed by gaiting the dog against a wall or curb - this forces them into the correct straight position, which gives you a chance to praise correct movement and build muscle-memory.

Don't forget to keep training-sessions short and sweet, even if all you're doing is moving her up and back. Keep it fun and don't let her become bored or tired.

3. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    oh I didn't think about walking her along a wall.

4. Gina

Gina Forums Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2010
    Florida
    Try the tennis ball technique. Hold as many tennis balls you can and have your dog on his show lead. Go somewhere with little distractions with a lot of room (like a field or empty dog park). Start gaiting your dog as you normally would, then after several strides, roll a tennis ball as far as you can, and give him the command, "Go!" or whatever you wish to use. Keep heading towards it at a trot, DO NOT run. If your dog tries to run, just correct him and keep him trotting. Then, before you get to the tennis ball you've just thrown (so your dog won't try to pick it up), roll the next tennis ball. This technique teaches the dog to go forward. It's also good for dogs who want to look up at you while gaiting. It has worked wonders with many show dogs. If your dog ignores the tennis balls and is not toy driven, try correcting the crabbing with the lead. When he starts to crab, tug the leash and say no. You may also be holding your lead too tight, too loose, or you may be going too slow, or too fast. Figure out what's right for your dog.