Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bravecto class action

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Piper's mom, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    More reason to avoid this flea and tick med! Class action here in Canada.

The firm lawyer Edinger & Associates has presented a request to the Superior Court of Quebec for the authorization of a class action, on May 17, on behalf of Jessica Gagnon, the owner of Snoopy, and in my name, Alla Olenitch, the owner of Willy.

The defendants in this class action petition are: Intervet Canada Corp, Merck Animal Health, which markets the Bravecto flea and tick medicine, and Intervet GesmbH, Austria, which manufactures Bravecto.

In particular, we are reproaching the defendants for failing to properly inform users and the public of the potential significant side effects of ingestion of the Bravecto product and for deceiving the public with regards to the dangers of this potentially toxic product, while actively striving, especially through its websites, to convince the public of its safety or to persuade said public, to ignore the possible important side effects.

Snoopy, the two-year-old dachshund dog of Jessica Gagnon had died within 24 hours after ingesting a dose of Braveco. Traces of Fluralaner, the active substance of Bravecto, were identified in his liver by the toxicological analysis as well as additional histological analysis revealed the presence of multiple hemorrhages: "... the presence of numerous foci of hemorrhage affecting the parenchymal organs and tissues as represented by peri- and intra- thymic mediastinal hemorrhages, perivascular and subdural meningeal hemorrhages within the brain, and interstitial and intra-parenchymal hemorrhages in the pancreas".

According to the findings of an expert report made by a renowned veterinarian, Snoopy died as a result of ingestion of the Bravecto tablet and this report also specifically indicates that this product may cause a variety of significant side effects, ranging from seizures and other neurological disorders, to various health conditions such as diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, hair loss, tissue inflammation, lethargy, bleeding, hemorrhage and even death.

In the new label updated in November 2, 2018 by Merck, Animal Health, Canada, the following new side effects were added: "digestive tract disorders, systemic disorders, skin disorders and appendages, neurological disorders". None of these effects were mentioned on the Bravecto label when it was prescribed for Willy, in May 2015, or Snoopy, in September 2018. No warnings were given regarding “significant side effects related to the anticoagulant effect” that the active substance of Bravecto, fluralaner could have, of which Snoopy was a victim.

All facts and quotes used in my publications come from the Class Action Request Document that is a public document.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    YIKES!! Have never used this, but I am so careful to only give that kind of flea and tick stuff when I absolutely have to, over the summer. I didn't even do that for years until Faith got tick paralysis last summer. For year round flea control I use a generic Program (lufenuron) combo with Capstar. The lufenuron works to stop flea reproduction, it does not kill fleas. I feel much more comfortable giving that to them, since we have fleas year around here. my vet recommended Credelio for our oral flea and tick and it's been fine - I guess I should google it now and then to make sure there's no new evidence against it!

I feel horrible for those folks losing their young healthy dogs like that - gut wrenching.

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I'm like you Sharon, I don't give unless I have to! Unfortunately we have a show in 2 weeks in a small town where ticks are bad so I'll be using fiproguard (generic of Frontline plus). I would also much rather give a spot on that I could wash off rather than a pill.

4. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    On a flea prevention thread here a couple of months ago I posted the following. No, I am not surprised that Bravecto might be causing problems (though admittedly the one anecdotal case and the supporting conflicting legal arguments are not overly convincing). It just seems like an unnecessarily risky choice, compared to monthly. Makes the 'spider sense' tingle.

"Nexgard is a really good product. It will probably, finally, be the replacement we have been seeking for Frontline for about 10 years now. Bravecto is similar to Nexgard, but good for 3 months rather than one. Sorry, I shall pass. I don't want to give anything to a dog that I can't take out of his system for 3 months. Remember the gone but not lamented ProHeart 6? It is not particularly onerous to give your dog a tablet every month. And if he doesn't seem to be tolerating it all that well we can take some solace in realizing in a couple of weeks it will be out of his system and we can move on to something else.
    I suppose that is more of an 'aesthetic' than a medical opinion, but a 3 month pill just scares me.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I totally agree with Dr. Mac on this one. After much agitating, I had to use Nexguard for Flurry, who has skin allergies and couldn't have any of the spot-on treatments. Using nothing is not an option for us since she goes to outdoor shows in the summer where fleas and ticks are rampant, especially here in the Northeast. I was very nervous about using something for her I couldn't wash off if she had a reaction, but she's done very well on it with no problems.

The thought of something that stays in the system for three months though, would be a no-go for me. There are just too many chances for problems and no way to resolve them once it's in the dog's system.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree - the thought of anything in their system for up to 3 months is scary. After Ally had a bad reaction to Sentinel - a seizure 1 hour after it was given - I'm really careful what I give them!

7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm very comfortable giving Minnie frontline plus, it's either that or she gets lyme disease. Here on Cape Cod, MA, it's a real scare. I've had students who have had lyme disease. It's horrible. Sandstorm wears the Soresto collar, he does really well with it.

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I use Fiproguard plus, its the generic of Frontline plus (and much cheaper). I agree, Lyme is scary, I know someone also who had Lyme...took years to get a proper diagnosis (Canada is very lax in that regard) and she still has neurological deficits!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes. I got got the generic also, much cheaper! I think it works just as well, so far anyways

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I've used it for a few years now and have never found any ticks latched on mor any adverse reactions. Just wish it was available here, i usually have to buy off eBay (new).