Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Big Boy?

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by Sheltie:), Mar 31, 2010.

1. Sheltie:)

Sheltie:) Forums Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Minnesota
    hello,

I am new to the forum and a new Sheltie owner as well.

Our Puppy Judah is now 6 months old. He is very large and that is okay with us. I have seen the growth charts for Shelties on various sites and it looks like he is a giant.

At 20 weeks he is now 15.75 inches at the withers. Not exactly sure how much he weighs today. At 14 weeks he weighed 12.8 lbs and aoubt 13.75 tall.

We are not planning on showing him or breeding him as he is a Sable Merle.

Does anyone have a giant Sheltie?

Thanks,
    Nikki

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    My Asta, a female, is 18 inches tall and weighs 28 - 29 pounds. She is a big beautiful girl. That's how we got her, because she was oversize and the breeder knew as soon as she was born she'd be big. Lucky for us we had told her we wanted an oversized girl, and viola!

I kinda like 'em on the big side (shhhhh don't tell Ally who is 14.5 :wink2:)

Sharon

PS - Can you post a picture? And welcome to the forum.

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    No giants here except Earnhardt (lab) The two sheltie puppies I do think will be standard. (hopefully):wink2:
    Trapp is now 8 months old,and is 15" and weighs 19-1/2lbs.

Jasper is 17 weeks and is 12",weighs if my memory serves me correct 11 pds. I just weighed him the other day,can't remeber the lentgh of my nose sometimes.I don't have his chart right here in front of me.

Are sable merles not allowed to be shown? I did'nt know that~I have no plans either to show obviously,but may very well in time like to do agility,or disc with Trapp.
    Trapp is a sable.
    Jasper seems to be a question mark right now,as he is going thru lots of coat changes~Maybe a sable merle as well.

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Dusty is 17 inches and 28 pounds! So unfortunatly that means he cant be shown in conformation, but my son is going to show him in 4-h and hopefuly AKC obedience, he got his cgc at a little over 6 months old with only 2 weeks of training :smile2:
    sable merles can be shown but they have to have brown eyes.

5. Sheltie:)

Sheltie:) Forums Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Minnesota
    good to know.

Does anyone know when they reach thier growth peak? DO they keep growing until they are a year?

Just trying to guestimate how big he really will get. I mean 15.75 inches at 5 months would lend him to possibly getting to at least 18" tall or possibly 20"?

Again, we don't mind. We really would rather him be bigger. I guess I'm just kinda impatient here.

Oh, one more thing. We are planning to get him nuetered at 6months. Would that also affect his growth?

thanks for all the imput.
    Nikki

PS anyone out there have a purebred Sheltie over 18" ?

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    The avg in sheltie for hitting full height is 9-10 months. My Ember stopped at 6 months and she is a little over 13". The other 2 stopped at 9 months. Neutering at 6 months has minimal effect(unlike if neutered at 3-4 months) but he could get a touch taller.

Diva is 14" and her litter brother Dexter is 19". He is a huge boy. Mom was only 13" and Dad 15" so the height was a surprise.:smile2: You can see the family here. Dexter is in the middle.:lol: This was the puppies 1yr birthday.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=172&pictureid=1839

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    There's nothing strictly saying that sable mereles can't be shown, but its not exactly a good thing, some of the things that Sable Mereles have Disqualify them such as blue eyes and a noticeable merleing pattern is a fault too. The problem more comes in to breeding. Mereles can really only be bred to tris and bi-blacks. If someone accidentally bred a sable-merele to another merle then you end up with double-merels and lots of deaf/blind puppies.

8. MisfitBrian

MisfitBrian Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008
    Little Elm, Tx
    Max is 19.5 & 26 lbs. He's tall & lean. :lol:

Attached Files:

9. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    LOVE>>LOVE that picture!

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Yup! Beckon (aka Norwood Beckoning Breeze, out of Pop Star SS of Northern Farm and Norwood Nenana), is 20 inches. :eek2: Bluest blood of Sheltiedom and big as Babe the Blue Ox! :lol: