Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

Reply
View First Unread View First Unread  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
corbinam's Avatar
corbinam corbinam is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,491
Default Puppy Height and Weight

I know that many of us have gotten puppies recently, so I thought it would be fun and interesting to keep track of their height and weights here for comparison.

I know that with shelties, size is something that is hard to predict, so it would be interesting to see how they differ in size and growth.

First, here's the link to the size chart that has been posted before:

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

And here's Lexi's info:

Age: 14 weeks
Weight: 9 lbs.
Height: 12.5 in.
__________________
ADCH Coastal's Blue Train Special "Bentley" CGC SCH-Silver JCH-Bronze TM-Bronze
ADCH Whisperwind's Pursuit of Perfection "Lexi" CGC SCH TM
Blackmyst From Zero to One Hundred "Enzo"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
Smudge Smudge is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AR
Posts: 3,321
Default

I'll report Fluffy's stats tomorrow, because she is going to the vet for shots. Then she is going to PetSmart for the first time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
SheltieGuy SheltieGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schuylkill County, PA
Posts: 1,085
Default

how do you measure.... from where to where??
__________________
links to pics of my puppies:
Angel (R.I.P.) & Snickers (2 years 7 months)
on my home page
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:52 PM
take4roll10's Avatar
take4roll10 take4roll10 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post

And here's Lexi's info:

Age: 14 weeks
Weight: 9 lbs.
Height: 12.5 in.
wow. i'm still so shocked at how shelties heights and weights vary. Bailey is 8 months old is only 12 3/4 inches.
__________________
Bailey CGC RN AX AXJ
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
corbinam's Avatar
corbinam corbinam is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieGuy View Post
how do you measure.... from where to where??
You want to measure them at their shoulders...I always stand them up next to a wall and place a pencil between their shoulder blades. You want it to settle into their back...I always have trouble with this because Lexi is so wiggly! It's better if they relax.

And I'm even not sure that 12.5 is right...our breeder said Lexi would be small, but right now she's at the higher end of the "in size" section of the height chart...so who knows.
__________________
ADCH Coastal's Blue Train Special "Bentley" CGC SCH-Silver JCH-Bronze TM-Bronze
ADCH Whisperwind's Pursuit of Perfection "Lexi" CGC SCH TM
Blackmyst From Zero to One Hundred "Enzo"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:01 PM
Caro's Avatar
Caro Caro is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 4,620
Default

Interesting. I tracked both mine (I still have the marks on the kitchen door - just like you do for the kids). Tully stayed in the undersize range until she was 12months Deska was all over the place - but a lot of the time he was within the height range, but he kept growing after 36 weeks and is oversized now.
__________________
Caro and the pups - Deska and Tully
& Tully's cats.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:30 PM
mbfrench mbfrench is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 5,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
I know that many of us have gotten puppies recently, so I thought it would be fun and interesting to keep track of their height and weights here for comparison.

I know that with shelties, size is something that is hard to predict, so it would be interesting to see how they differ in size and growth.

First, here's the link to the size chart that has been posted before:

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

And here's Lexi's info:

Age: 14 weeks
Weight: 9 lbs.
Height: 12.5 in.
I'll have to chime in on this one once Jasper comes home.
As it is right now,Trapp weighs 19# and is 15" tall. He'll be 6 months old tomorrow
__________________
Sir Baron Von Trapp~Trapp CGC,TDI
Lavendel's Precious Gem~ Jasper CGC
Cinco De Maya Mia~Mia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:33 PM
SheltieGuy SheltieGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schuylkill County, PA
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
You want to measure them at their shoulders...I always stand them up next to a wall and place a pencil between their shoulder blades. You want it to settle into their back...I always have trouble with this because Lexi is so wiggly! It's better if they relax.

And I'm even not sure that 12.5 is right...our breeder said Lexi would be small, but right now she's at the higher end of the "in size" section of the height chart...so who knows.

ty .. i think my pup is gonna be huge.. he is 5 months and 20.3 lbs. but ya never know
__________________
links to pics of my puppies:
Angel (R.I.P.) & Snickers (2 years 7 months)
on my home page
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:39 AM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 7,205
Default

Beckon: 8.5 months
19.5 inches
35 pounds

Thinks he's a Collie.
__________________
Chris
Nattering Springs Shelties

Last edited by Chris; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:44 AM
SheltieChe SheltieChe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,297
Default

Che at 16 weeks was 14 3/4 and who knows how much he weight but he is heavy... well he still has his waist and easily found ribs so it is not a matter of being overweight.. but this boy is growing...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.