Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Glue on puppy ears....

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Char, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Char

Char Forums Regular

Nov 7, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been doing some reading and was wondering about the idea of puppies ears being glued so that they hang over. Is that something that the breeder does??? I am new to the forum and kinda new to the sheltie breed. I am going to be adopting a little girl soon (I hope) and was just wondering about this process and how or who does it. When I get my little Dutchess, I want to make sure that she has everything that she needs and everything that should be taken care of for her.

Thanks for any advice or input on this and on any other things I may need to know before I adopt her.

Char in Indy
    :confused2:

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
  3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

There are tons of threads on this topic already but perhaps to recap a little as to the decision to glue:

- gluing ears is a personal choice if you do not plan to show your pup. If you plan to show, then gluing is really required. You are leaving too much to chance otherwise
    - a show breeder will normally send the pup home with the initial gluing, but you will need to renew every 3 weeks or so.
    - If you decide to glue, then you'll need to decide on the method you wish to follow. Some use Japanese tape, which I've never done. But the tried and true way is Jiffy Sew or Speed Sew. You'll also need a glue remover like Detachol to remove old glue before you reglue. This is important. Without a good glue remover (that does not irritate your pup), it's hard to reglue without snipping away...and once you've snipped away too much hair, you CAN"T reglue.

I won't go into the actual techniques, because the other threads do point to that already.

4. Char

Char Forums Regular

Nov 7, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    okay, so, if I am hearing or reading correctly, if I am not planning to show my pup then, I don't need to worry about glueing the ears. I don't plan on showing her just loving her. I just want to make sure that I have it right. Thanks for all the input! It is very much appreciated.

Char
    :smile2:

5. Strider

Strider Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Anchorage Alaska
    I've got a friend of mine that is a breeder. He's helping with the ear tipping and with bracing the ears. We started out by glueing the tips. This went ok. After her performance in the show ring, we decided to continue showing her and Mike reccomended adding a brace. A Brace is a way of tieing the ears up on the forehead. The end goal here is to have the ears tipped on the ear and sitting higher on her head than she would have naturally.

The process is completely painless and is along the same lines as dentures for people. It's an astetics thing. Many shelties have ears that will tip on their own. Others will naturally want to stay perked up. In the end it's a choice you as the owner will have to make regarding how much time and effort you want to devote into it.

I can tell you from personal experience that the ear tipping is fairly easy and you will only have to redo it on rare occassions. Ear bracing on the otherhand is a pain in the arse. I've had to have Deja's redone about 6 or 8 times already. The shortest lasted 2 days. The longest they have stayed in was two weeks.

If I did the attachments correctly, here's a couple shots showing her ears drooping to the side instead of sitting on her head. :)

Attached Files:

6. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas

Woo hoo, you did it, you posted pics, :yes:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Many show breeders can do away with the brace by gluing the hair between the ears together. And that's also where I hear that Japanese tape is a godsend!

But it requires some finesse. I managed the ear tipping part just fine. At about 5 or 6 months, I built the Berlin Wall between my pups ears, and finally had no choice but to cut it out. After that, there was no fur to glue, so I had to give it up.

Now Bacca has beatifully tipped hound ears! Yes, there were genetics involved as well, but it did not help that with my mistakes.

p.s. If I had another pup, would I glue again? You bet! I really do prefer a tipped ear!

8. Char

Char Forums Regular

Nov 7, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks guys! And by the way......Deja is a beautiful lady!!!
    I really appreciate all the info. I have never had a sheltie before and I know that there is so much that I will need to learn before I get her as well as after she comes home!!! You guys are awesome!

Char :biggrin2:

I just want to know all that I can before I get my precious Dutchess. I hope that I will be able to get her by summer. I hope anyway.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Yes, we are awesome! For the most part, you will never get more objective and positive advice and feedback than on this forum. We are a great mix of show and performance breeders, companion pet owners and so we strike a good balance.

And mostly we are kind!

10. Strider

Strider Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Anchorage Alaska
    *strut* I have skills!