Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:16 PM

Default Anyone Allergic to Shelties?

I am in the process of adopting a sheltie puppy and decided to have my daughter tested for dog allergies? Her test results have me a little concerned (IGE of 31.2 - class IV), I am waiting for the doctors interpretation on the results. I have heard that people are generally less allergic to Shelties because their double coat keeps the dander at bay. Has anyone experienced allergies to Shelties or have had similar tests?
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonracer View Post
I am in the process of adopting a sheltie puppy and decided to have my daughter tested for dog allergies? Her test results have me a little concerned (IGE of 31.2 - class IV), I am waiting for the doctors interpretation on the results. I have heard that people are generally less allergic to Shelties because their double coat keeps the dander at bay. Has anyone experienced allergies to Shelties or have had similar tests?
I have a close friend that has a lot of allergies...nuts, cats, and some dogs as well as other animals (such as farm type). She can't be around one lab, beagle, cocker, etc. but she can come in my house with all of my Shelties and it doesn't bother her at all! I wouldn't say that they are hypo-allergenic, but I have several people in my house regularly (I work at home) and I have never had anyone have a reaction. I do regular grooming to cut the amount of hair floating around and we vacuum daily. Honestly, if someone is going to have an allergy attack in my house it will probably be caused by dust
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:17 AM

I also have a girlfriend whose son is allergic to dogs and cats but can be around my Kia with no problems! Go figure must be different types of dander.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:23 AM

I can't say I've encountered anyone who has had a reaction to Caliber. Mind you, he's only 8 months and is still growing in his full coat. In any case...I do have one friend who has eczema that is triggered easily through things such as stress or even different types of animals or materials, and she can come over and play with Caliber for HOURS and not have a breakout. Another friend I have is allergic to many things as well...and he can never get away from Caliber, and he has never had a problem. I think it's mostly to do with the care you put into your Sheltie...if you're keeping up with the brushing, and overall grooming you probably won't have too much of a problem. Mind you too...it probably depends on what you feed your dog sometimes that causes dander. I was feeding Caliber Purina at first(that's the food he came home with) and then switched to Royal Canin, and he had REALLY bad dander with bother types. And I mean BAD dander. I started giving his fish oil capsules(thanks to SheltieMom!), and within a week I started seeing results. Since then I haven't seen one flake on him. I ended up switching to raw in the end, and hardly give him the capsules anymore, and still no sign of dander. Now, that's not to say Purina or Royal Canin is complete garbage, different food works really well with different dogs...other then the dander I didn't have many problems(actually, he started throwing up with Royal Canin after a while... but switched and no problems since). But I think that has a lot to do with it too. I hope everything works out!

Last edited by TaraLynn; Mar 20, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:33 AM

Yes I am one of those people allergic to dogs. I cant be around my brothers labs for more than 15 minutes or else my eyes swell shut, same thing with my aunts goldens...I was told it was something with the oils in their coats that im allergic to more than the dander. I am also allergic to cats...but dont tell that to the 2 who sleep on my pillow every night
but shhhhhh dont let this thread get out that shelties are hypo-allergenic....the Obama's will want one than too...its our little secret

Last edited by Lightplum; Mar 20, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:15 AM

Apparently I'm extremely allergic to dogs and have extreme seasonal allergies, but for some reason I've never had any symptoms.

I was tested for allergies a few years back because I had sinus problems. I was told that I was extremely allergic to dogs, cats and birds, all of which I had as pets. I'd never experience any obvious allergic reactions while being around any of my pets, or anyone elses for that matter.

To try and lessen my sinus problems I was put on allergy shots. They did nothing to help me and I eventually stopped the shots.

My husband, who has an identical twin, has never been bothered by Sadie or my parent's sheltie Milo. His twin however, is allergic to Sadie and is bothered by her a bit.

My brother in law's nephew (on his wife's side) was also very allergic to Sadie and broke out in a red rash after being around her for a couple of hours. His mother said though that usually the rash happens immediately and was stunned that it took 2-3 hours.

Possibly shelties are less allergic then??
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightplum View Post
Yes I am one of those people allergic to dogs. I cant be around my brothers labs for more than 15 minutes or else my eyes swell shut, same thing with my aunts goldens...I was told it was something with the oils in their coats that im allergic to more than the dander. I am also allergic to cats...but dont tell that to the 2 who sleep on my pillow every night
but shhhhhh dont let this thread get out that shelties are hypo-allergenic....the Obama's will want one than too...its our little secret
Yep me too! Labs are the worst! I can't touch my parent's dog....and for some reason, it's always me he wants to rub up against! I was fine with my own cats, but keep all others away.

I think I just build up immunities to those around me, day in and day out. That's the only explanation. When I brought Indy home I was worried because I was reacting negatively. My "weekend" spouse still does. But now I can do a full grooming session with Indy with almost no reaction at all.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:07 PM

I'm allergic to a whole host of things...but not dogs.

My son is allergic to dogs but doesn't have any problem with the shelties. Apparently he has an allergy to dog saliva but NOT dander.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:31 PM

SheltieMom was allergic to Rocky when he was a puppy ... all that puppy dander. After the puppy phase, both he and she were fine with each other.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:03 PM

I am allergic to dogs, and I have three currently living with me. A jack russell/aussie, a border collie/aussie, and a sheltie. The only one I have reacted to is the sheltie. I think that is partly due to the fact that he is very cuddley and lays in my lap a majority of the time, when the other two never do. My eyes have swollen up on occassion.

It seems to all have to do with the bathing. If Aztec is bathed on his every other week schedule - never, ever a problem. If he gets to about four weeks without a bath, I will get a reaction. A clean dog and a clean house will prevent allergies. You can also keep the dog out of your daughter's bedroom, which will cut down on her having a reaction.