Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:43 PM

Default How to break a nasty habit ?

Amber Lee is still eating her poop. Has anyone had any luck stopping this nasty habit ? She has had her spay surgery but no change. I didn't think it would but I was hoping.

Last Sunday she had her first training class.(we are going to petsmart with group training.) She is so smart that she is easy to train. The trainer is having us use a clicker. She loves carrots so we cut them up into small bite size pieces. We use the clicker to get her back in from the back yard. When she hears the clicker she makes a bee line into the house and gets a piece of carrot.

Now if I could use the clicker to stop her from eating poop.
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:52 PM

I have read somewhere that there is something you can give a dog that makes their poop taste bad to themselves and other dogs. Maybe your vet would know what it is. Mine eats cat poop, so I know how disgusting that all is! Nothing like poop breath to make you want sheltie kisses
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:55 PM

I tried everything to stop my dog from eating her poop when she was younger and nothing worked.

The only thing that worked was to walk her or always go out in the yard with her and pick up her poop immediately. Just don't give her the opportunity to eat her poop.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:11 PM

Some times we do walk her on leash in the yard. If we try to pick it up with a small shovel she will attack us. She tries to bite and scratch to save her poop. So we have to bring her back into the house then go back out to clean up.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:28 PM

First off all of those supplements that claim they cure poop eating do not work. The only fool proof way is to pick it up immediately.

Now as far as her scratching and attacking you while picking it up, that has to STOP IMMEDIATELY! That should not be allowed to continue on. Putting her in the house is not solving the problem, its only creating more drama in her mind over it.

Also raw carrots ive found increase the instance of poop eating because they cant digest them down and they come out the other end looking just as tasty to the dogs....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:46 PM

At least you don't have Natalie standing behind one of the other dogs just waiting for them to finish!

I agree the only solution - pick up immediately.
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:10 PM

Must be nutrients left in the food that makes the poop so desireable. Walk your dog on a leash to poop and correct for attempting to eat it- verbal correction EH, EHH forcefully, works with Sally, but she is not into poop eating (dog) but will scarf down rabbit or deer if I'm not paying attention...digestive enzymes work for some-feed to all dogs and feed a healthy dogfood . Clean up before anybody can feast.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:53 AM

What about using the clicker to cue her to leave it? So when she walks towards it (on leash) tell her to leave it, and when she looks at you, click and treat.

You can use the clicker to teach her to allow you to pick it up, too.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:57 PM

Oh yes, Shelby was a poop eater too. I added some pineapple to her food and I would clean up after immediately. She no longer eats her own poop (rabbit poop is still delicious). I do not know if it was the pineapple or if she just out grew it.

I do have a funny poop eating story. My husband thought she found a cookie and was trying to get her to drop it. She ran into her tunnel to hide from him. He got her out and tried to pry the cookie from her mouth, when he discovered it wasn't a cookie He almost threw up and it took all I had to not laugh.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:51 AM

I am finely getting Ryder to stop eating poop after 2 years. I tried different supplements and they never worked. As soon as I see he has finished going I call him and give him cookies or carrots. And we all go back in the house. I go out later to pick the poop up. I use a bag to pick it up. my boys would go after a shovel or broom. He has learned that he rather have the carrot or cookie.

Maverick-Tri(my soul mate)
Ryder-Tri(one man party)