Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Grooming
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old May 12, 2012, 08:53 PM

Default Oh no,trimming sheltie ears...

Oh those sheltie ears...gave Sally a bath today and did some grooming,and tried to trim her ears. I had been letting them grow a little shaggy because her ears are a little low set. I did not glue or tape her ears when she was a pup. She was a rescue and extremly shy even at 4 months. We focused on other issues more and I knew we would not be doing any confirmation or anything such as that.Her ears don't look bad, but I'm just not sure what would be the most becoming trim for her .
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2012, 10:33 PM

some pix would be good for our resident experts to offer advice
Old May 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

If her ears are low set than you want to get the weight of the fur off them to "pop" them back up a bit...granted it wont be significant but will help a bit...Now if you have high set ears you want to keep the fur on them more to help weigh them down...

Everyone here get a different ear trim custom tailored to their situation The only two are are remotely close are Mia and her son Tucker.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:50 PM

iI am ashamed to admit that I am not sure how to submit pics
Old May 12, 2012, 10:57 PM

You can upload photos to a free websharing site, like shutterfly or photobucket, and then post the link, or else become a premium member and post.
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Old May 13, 2012, 12:21 AM

I will become a Premium member ,but I will do this tomorrow as a Mother's Day gift to myself.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:37 PM

My Bacca has low set ears (also called "hound dog"!)

I tried to find a picture of his ears after I groomed them but apparently I only have pictures of his ears at the worst.

So I'm attaching a picture of Bacca at about his worst. This picture also has Indy with his "almost perfect"prick ears, but also at their worst, but it allows you to see the difference between both types of ears.

Generally with low set ears:

1) Trim the edges of the ears as you would with any other Sheltie
2) You want to lighten the load of the front part of the ear. So, bend the ear over at the break. Using a thinning shear, carefuly trim back the fur at the front/top part of the break
3) You do not want to trim the hair behind the break too much. Leave it on the long-side, but you do want to shape it so its not ragged.
4) In the inside of the ear, you want to create the illusion of space, so you do want to trim inside the ear a little more aggressively. You don't want it to be bald, but you do want to see a little bit of the ear canal.

If you need more detailed instructions, let me know. Both my dogs are in need of feet and ear grooming, so it would be a good time for me to document the step by step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6146372.jpg (47.0 KB, 42 views)
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old May 17, 2012, 11:48 AM

Ok, so i had a ittle problem with my laptop screen not coming on for SOME REASON, then today when i went to download pics form my camera and my batteries are DEAD , so i don't have any current pics of the ear trimmin', but can show you what her ear situation is...http://pumpkishutterfly.com
Old May 17, 2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie View Post
Ok, so i had a ittle problem with my laptop screen not coming on for SOME REASON, then today when i went to download pics form my camera and my batteries are DEAD , so i don't have any current pics of the ear trimmin', but can show you what her ear situation is...http://pumpkishutterfly.com
I can't get this link to work FYI
Old May 17, 2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbV View Post
My Bacca has low set ears (also called "hound dog"!)

I tried to find a picture of his ears after I groomed them but apparently I only have pictures of his ears at the worst.

So I'm attaching a picture of Bacca at about his worst. This picture also has Indy with his "almost perfect"prick ears, but also at their worst, but it allows you to see the difference between both types of ears.

Generally with low set ears:

1) Trim the edges of the ears as you would with any other Sheltie
2) You want to lighten the load of the front part of the ear. So, bend the ear over at the break. Using a thinning shear, carefuly trim back the fur at the front/top part of the break
3) You do not want to trim the hair behind the break too much. Leave it on the long-side, but you do want to shape it so its not ragged.
4) In the inside of the ear, you want to create the illusion of space, so you do want to trim inside the ear a little more aggressively. You don't want it to be bald, but you do want to see a little bit of the ear canal.

If you need more detailed instructions, let me know. Both my dogs are in need of feet and ear grooming, so it would be a good time for me to document the step by step.
Yes please. Instructions would be great. It looks like MacGreggor is going to have hound dog ears and I have never attempted to trim the girls ears. I would like to learn to do it right since I seem to have started off wrong with Mack by bringing him home too soon and putting a harness on him. Thanks in advance for the trimming advise.

Sherri and Clay
Miss Maddie, Miss Saddie
MacGreggor
Our Forever Girl Miss Ellie