Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New 5 month old puppy!!! What to feed and how much???

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by russki1313, Oct 31, 2011.

1. russki1313

russki1313 Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2011
    S. Florida
    Hi,
    Just want to know what you guys have been doing since you know better than me.
    I have a new 5 month old puppy and i am trying to figure out what to feed it and how much/often to feed it.
    I want to stick to something that is as natural as possible.
    Is it better to feed 2x, 3x, or 4x a day???
    What about water, temp? should the water bowl always be filled? filtered or bottled?
    Thanks ahead of time.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I recommend Orijen, Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo puppy formulas. I fed my puppies twice daily; the bag gives the right amount for weight. I give mine cold tap water; we have a well. It's always available.

Welcome and now where are those puppy pictures?????

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Welcome! There are a lot of great foods out there. I have fed many different things including California Natural, Taste of the Wild, and now Acana.

I fed my puppies 3 times a day until they were around 6 months old, and then they went to twice a day. It's really hard to say exactly how much to feed...it depends on the dog. I think I was feeding about a cup a day when they were puppies, and now they get about 1/2 cup a day (my dogs are around 15 lbs.)

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    It depends on the dog and their metabolism. I feed 2x a day and started with the amount on the bottom end of the feeding chart on the bag and then I adjust it as needed. ie too thin increase by 25%, too fat decrease by 25%.

When my boy Justice was a baby he was eating almost 4 cups of food and was still lean. He was so active and had such a high metabolism. He is 9yrs old and I still have trouble keeping weight on him. He still eats 2 cups a food(grain free Fromm) a day and a raw chicken wing(use to feed all raw but was going broke) every other day.My girls would be 100lbs if I fed them like him.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    my dogs eat raw and we eyeball their food, they were on raw food since I brought them in. We use kibble for training. There are lots to choose from. My boys like Orijen and Acana best but I am not comfortable with amount of herbs put into formula, it is fine for training but I would not do it as main food.
    Variety is the key so we follow opportunistic diet- anything that comes our way:lol:
    Dr Chris Serpico, DVM the one that I heard lecture on stem cell shots, is into nutrition heavily, I was not terribly surprised when he suggested just about what I do with my own dogs.... great minds think alike:biggrin2:
    at 5 months I would feed either 3 times or 2 times, depends how its going. If pup looks too hungry I will split food into more feedings, if I am training I will split food into more feedings, etc

6. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm feeding my five month old, Natures Variety Prairie puppy food. She's doing great on it. My big guys get Wellness Core, but since they don't make a puppy formula... I went with what I thought was the best in the store. On a side note. Orijen is not sold anywhere in SC, that I know of. In my opinion wellness core runs second best.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Not to get off topic, but Orijen is sold in many places in Charleston, at least. Many retailers do not appear on Orijen's retailer locator tool.

8. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh really? I've not seen it at any of the stores aroundd here.

9. Lacey'sMamma

Lacey'sMamma Forums Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada

I free fed,(always have the dish full) and i would also recommend Orijen or Acana. Best food you can buy! Keep the water dish full and clean! Tap water? aha

10. Noneeds4me

Noneeds4me Forums Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009
    Southern California
    Just switched to Blue Buffalo "Basics" (Salmon & Potato) for our kids, but I'm sure the puppy formula is very good too. I was using Kirkland Lamb & Rice, but found the ingredient list on the BB "Basics" was really good. I've seen an improvement in coat which we didn't have an issue with anyway...but still..I see even better coats ;-).

If we "free fed," our dogs would eat themselves, sick, and also weigh 100lbs!! :lol: