Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

6 month old puppy behaviour....

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by BarbV, Oct 2, 2008.

1. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    Romeo was extremely distracted in his first puppy class. He barked alot at allt he other dogs and tried many times to hump the one next to him. The trainer scruffed him causing Romeo to whine and said I had to do it to keep him quiet! It kept Romeo quiet for abit but when he barked again EVERYONE looked at ME and expected me to scruff him! I just kind gently pinched his neck (which didn't work) coz I really couldn't bring myself to do it!

Romeo still has problems focussing in class, but he too is great at home. So I usually just try to get him to do it a few times of a command in class (just to get the trainer to see if i'm doing it wrong) then do the intensive drilling at home. I then take it outdoors slowly (like in a park and try to get him to do the commands there).

The trainer told us to skip the morning meal (our class is at 1pm) so that the dog is REALLY hungry and will therefore pay greater attention to you in class when you're waving food in his face. Also, he said we should come for class at least 15 mins beforehand to get the dogs to get used to their surroundings/the other dogs and to relax.

The place I go to is REALLY SMALL and there are like 9 of us, but this guy's the only one that uses the clicker!