Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Great Rawhide Alternative

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Ann, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My dogs love rawhide. The worst, junkiest, made-in-China stuff if the can get their paws on it. I've looked long and hard for a substitute. I like them to chew because it's a natural activity and good for their teeth. They don't like the natural alternatives like hooves, bully sticks, or even the plain American-made rawhide products.

I finally found something that I'm thrilled about, called Smart Bones, an alternative to rawhide. It's digestible, made of a vegetable outer coating and real chicken in a food grade facility with oversight. They're priced comparably with natural treats like bully sticks but less messy and dogs LOVE them.

I found them cheapest on Amazon. Go through Sheltie Nation and the site gets credit. Just search Smart Bones. They come in chicken, peanut butter and dental varieties. Four paws up! :biggrin2:

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Just ordered some! Thank you,thank you for sharing the info.

3. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendation, I am always trying to find something that Brie can have. She will gulp everything down so rawhide etc. is not a good option. I will check these out!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ann, do they have any smell to them?

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Are they hard like a rawhide? Cause a rawhide will last Bailey months.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    They do, and they actually smell good. The dogs know when the package arrives!

They're hard, but I get the mini ones to get more for my money (24 for $10). The dogs can eat them pretty quickly.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I think I'll try the medium ones. A little larger and will hopefully last longer.

Thanks!

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Ann, I don't see anything on Amazon or on the Smart Bones website that says where they are made. There is a review on Amazon that says the chicken ones made her dog sick, so she brought the bag to the vet and vet said they were made in China.

Dr. Foster & Smith also says they are made in China.

I just emailed the company to find out for sure.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    I, too, stopped buying rawhide for my guys because even the product made in the US sometimes made them sick so I switched to a combo of raw beef bones (twice a month) and supplement with thick bullysticks. Plus every 2-3 days I brush their teeth! Our newest rescue Murphy isn't too crazy about me poking around in his mouth. Probably because the so-called breeder he came from let his dental problems get way out of hand. Poor guy had to have a dental and two teeth pulled the first month he was with us.

This product boasts that it's 99% digestible, but buyer beware as that doesn't mean they can't chew off a chunk and get it caught in their intestines.

I'm also a little concerned that something that good is so cheap. Usually means the contents are cheap. Think I'll stick to my tried and true routine.

10. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    Part of my boy's dental program was Hill's Prescription t/d Dental dog food, which is available from your vet. He got seven big nuggets a day, as treats. (They are also available in "small bites" size.)

He also got "new formula" Greenies (three weekly), monthly antibiotic dental surge therapy (Clavamox pills), weekly Oravet gum treatment, and daily toothbrushing.

Consult your vet before taking any of my recommendations.