Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

No ears

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by pah1701, Jul 31, 2015.

1. pah1701

pah1701 Forums Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    Hawaii
    I just started handling dogs and i was lucky enough for a very nice breeder to have me handle his sheltie.she has 8 points and he's depending on my to finish her. She beautiful but the problem is she will never perk her ears for me. No matter what I do. She cares more able what's around her than me. So does anyone have advice on how to maybe get her ears up and how to get her to focus?

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Reduce her anxiety. This is a socialization issue.

3. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    If she won't bait for food, try using a small toy and throw it.

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agreed. If she has eight points, I'm going to assume that she put her ears up for someone. It's likely that she just hasn't had enough of a chance yet to feel at ease and confident with her new handler.

Is she staying with you, or are you picking her up at ringside? Are you doing her grooming, or is her breeder handing her off to you already done up?

It's normal Sheltie behavior to take some time to warm up to new people, especially if they are asked to "work for" them. I recommend investing some time in getting to know her - she may have to come live at your place while she's being shown so that she has a chance to get to know you.