Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male sheltie and female Dachs? Will there be a problem with sheltie trying to mate?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Stavrum, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    For what it's worth I am somewhat sorry the current laws in Norway don't allow spay/neuters...what a bizarre law!

All of the pets I have had and have are spayed/neutered and I would do over and over again to contribute to being a responsible pet owner.

2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Well, you can be responsible and have unaltered pets. It just takes more work on your part. It's doable, though. I, however, was too lazy to be willing to put in that extra work and altered mine. LOL

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Absolutely! You need to pay a little extra attention, particularly if you have a "mixed-sex household", but having unaltered animals does not preclude being a responsible owner. The "responsibility" lies in not breeding irresponsibly.

4. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I was looking into this and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Norway/Sweden have almost NO homeless stray dogs like America does. They're just a more responsible society than ours.

5. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I must have a weird sheltie! My seeing eye dog foster is in heat right now and Dusty, who is an intact male, wants nothing to do with her, not even a sniff :eek2: Now he has been bugging Belle, who is not in heat and wont go into heat until the end of June :rolleyes2:

Anyways I have 4 intact dogs at my house. What I do is keep them in different rooms in crates when I am not around. I also dont let them out to potty togather. Most of the time my male stays outside. And everyone in the household knows the rules so no one accidently lets them out togather. Even my 8 y/o daughter knows the rules and wont let the girls out unless Dusty is in his crate.

6. DieDany

DieDany Forums Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2012
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    I do agree with tofu pup. You can have intact males and females at home, just during the female's period you have to keep them separated. I have seen so much neutered dogs getting in trouble with the other intact dogs, who just percieved them as a kind of weird sexless creatures. My experience is intact dogs don't often get on well with neutered dogs and they use to be aggressive to them:( That's why I wouldn't have my dog neutered unless there would be some serious health issue.

Maybe it would be interesting to learn why there is such a law in Norway. In Europe it is quite unusual as well:confused2:

7. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    According to the website I read, they don't believe in altering a pet for no reason other than your convenience. They do allow male cats to be neutered do to the fact they roam and it would be inhumane to keep cats inside and of course if it's a medical ER they'll let you neuter/spay your animal.

8. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas

It is NOT a laziness issue at all. Neutering prevents a host of diseases and illnesses and the potential for your dog to get lost and found dead on the side of the road, not to mention unwanted liters! I am sure you will want to debate my statement, please don't. If you feel the need to, PM me. I don't want to get into a public debate with you! Oh wow, I am getting into a debate by saying I will not :hide!

Okay, okay...trying to stay on topic here!

9. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    LOL Susan, you're funny. There hasn't been a lot of research really done on the long-term benefits/effects of altering your pet, so it's too soon to say it prevents such and such diseases. I do know my dog has incontinence due to be spaying. So there are probably risks/benefits to both sides of the spectrum. Some people believe strongly in not altering what's meant to be... I don't think it makes them irresponsible, which is the part of your comment people are picking apart. You're only irresponsible if you let them breed. Also, not sure if you read the comment, but these countries that don't allow animals to be altered, don't have homeless animals... so you can't say the only way to keep your dog from straying/or unnecessary liters is to alter them because they prove otherwise. I'm clearly on your side in terms of altering pets since all of mine are fixed. I just don't think it's fair to say you're irresponsible if you don't alter.

10. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    I don't mean to be a nag but I think this thread is not about having a debate on pros and cons of neutering. <b>The poster cannot neuter the future pet. This is not an option.<b> I'm not aiming this comment at anyone specifically, just wanted to bring the thread back to topic.

Question is : should this family wait to obtain a female instead of a male or is it realistic to think they can successfully prevent the male Sheltie from mating with the female dachshund.

In my opinion, if you guys are careful to not let the dogs together when the female is in heat, it will be fine. My friends have successfully kept two unaltered Golden's in the same without ever encountering any problems.

Please note that given a chance, the Sheltie will try to mount the female. Believe it or not, my brother's miniature dachshund (no more than 8 inches tall) tries to mount my 18inches tall Sheltie and they are both fixed.