Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question about my 11 year old sheltie

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by LunaBear87, Aug 11, 2011.

1. LunaBear87

LunaBear87 Forums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011
    MD
    Recently when I've been going over to my parent's house our dog Jewel seems to be vomiting up bile, and we're not sure what to think of it. She gets fed the same kind of food as their 4 year old, and 2 year old dog. And we were thinking that she might need to be put on a senior kind of diet. But we're not completely sure, any kind of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Have you seen a vet? That would be my first step. Take note of when and where the vomiting and what food has been fed prior, including any treats. Your vet will probably what to do bloodwork.

3. LunaBear87

Aug 10, 2011
    MD
    I've talked to my Dad about it, I don't know what they're going to do about it.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if you could provide more details.

-How often does she throw up?
    -When does she throw up? (Randomly, after dinner, before bed, etc...)

Also, at 11 it might be time for her to go in and get some bloodwork done just as a precaution since she is getting older.

5. LunaBear87

Aug 10, 2011
    MD
    well I wish I could be a little bit more specific, I don't live at home anymore and well I go over there every so often to drop off the tikes before I go to work. All I know is that every so often that when I've gone home that I've found that she was the only one out, and there has been vomit on the floor. I think that you all may be right, I think that I should probably most likely take her in to get some bloodwork done. I'm just worried since she is getting older, how her puppy is going to react after she passes. Her puppy doesn't like to separated from her mommy at all, and when she is, she cries and cries and cries.

6. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

I would try and get your parents to take her in for a check up. I've always taken all my seniors in for check ups and bloodwork/urine tests every 6 mos.

7. LunaBear87

Aug 10, 2011
    MD
    I talked to my Dad about it yesterday, and he seemed like he was all for it, and he's going to schedule her an appointment to get some blood work done. Thanks for the wonderful advice, once I brought up the fact that it might be a good idea for her to get some blood work done, he agreed with me. I'll keep you all posted and see how she does. :wink2:

8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Great news! Definitely keep us posted on how the blood work results turn out.

9. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    My last sheltie was a sweetheart ...she started throwing up bile at age 7 ...what we came up with is that she was making to much bile when she had an empty stomach, so i reduced breakfast and dinner and gave her a small lunch and a good size treat before bed just to keep some food in her tummy and this worked for many years. If its just bile i would try this first. If its bile and food then see a vet.