Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fatty Lumps

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by k9kreationz, Jan 11, 2010.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Really? That's something good to know. We'll see if Koji has lumps later in life seeing as how he's never gotten grainy corny foods. Miko was fed a lot of that for the first half of his life (aka before I knew any better).

Thoughts on this from the rest of the group? Do you think it holds water?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Miko will tell you when or if the lumps bother him. You'll see him worrying at them, licking them, etc. If he's not doing that and they don't get in his way when he moves, you're okay.

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota

Hum I hadn't heard this one before. I think there is a genetic componet to it since we tend to see them more frequently in certain breeds, ie labs, shelties schanazers. It is interesting that it might be diet related. I'll have to ask about diet in dogs I see develop them.

My personal experience: my Lab had tons of them, she was fed the gambit of dog food garbage. Cheaper the better, I was a poor student and didn't know better. Last years of life ate eukanuba.
    My Jrt mix-food allergies to beef, don't know what she was fed the first year of her life, ate Cal natural, Innova and RC MP and LP. 1 small fatty lump never bigger than 1in diameter.
    My dad's Lab- tons of fatty lumps fed some type of high grain diet Chuckwagon? talked into Iams , now on Innova(yah)
    My brother Lab- fed Innova since baby puppy-no fatty lumps
    My breeders shelties- no known Fatty lumps- ate eukanbua and RC
    My shelties-no fatty lumps so far- Ate eukanbua(Justice) and then Eagle pack Holistic select and Nature's variety.

Interestingly the 2 with the poorest diets had the most but they were also obese. None of the others were/are. But the high grain diets is something to watch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    Really?! :eek2: That is completely wild! I didn't know dogs could be allergic to beef.

5. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA

I was told this by my old vet. It can be allegeric reactions to the grains..corn...etc...
    BUT all our shelties were from the same family as well soo it could be genetic.. who knows.. maybe sum just get them and sum dont.

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks. This is helpful to know when it's bothering him. I'll keep an eye out for things like that.

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Wow! Y'know, Miko was brought up on Eukanuba then we switched to things I cant recall (better foods), but he was overweight for a long time. I'm sure both those added to his lumps. I'm really curious now, to see if Koji will get them. 1. he's on a good diet and 2. I doubt he'll ever be overweight. He's very active compared to Miko.

8. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA
  9. stephanie

stephanie Forums Novice

Feb 24, 2016
    Fairview, NC
    fat tumors to remove or no?

So a couple of years ago I took my now almost 7 year old sheltie to the vet because she began having problems sitting an getting back up. they told me she needed to lose a little weight She still has the problem getting up and down and has these hard masses on either side of spine. vet confirmed they are fat tumors. he said these were contributing to her weight problems and her ability to get up and down. he said it was up to us to have them taken out or not but it would be two separate surgeries one at a time. I feel like we should get them out since they are causing her problems but I don't want to put her through 2 surgeries if it is not needed. any suggestions?

10. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    friends that had Labs fed grocery store pet food suffered with lumps, they also had teeth issues...they switched to my Vet who HATES any processed pet food and pleads with his clients to feed raw, or at least organic foods and NO corn, NO wheat. They switched to his diet recommendations...the Labs stopped having lumps, finally got their weight where it should be, and didn't have near the tartar build up on their teeth.

I believe the allergies, the lumps, the itchies, can be traced to their diet. And I know it affects humans. My hubby had a strong Dr Pepper/Coca cola addiction. He downed pop like it was going out of style. He also had those fatty cyst tumors pop up on his back and he had to get several removed. His Dr said GET OFF POP, it isn't healthy. He gave it up, no more fatty tumors the rest of his days. Pop uses corn syrup as a sweetener-there ya go...