Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Infected anal glands

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by lovemyshelties, Mar 29, 2012.

1. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    My sweet little Bentley, who is normally very healthy, is giving us a scare. About 10 days ago he started licking his rectum and was leaking anal fluid so I gave them a squeeze and found they were quite full. He seemed better for a few days, but then started licking again so I made a vet appointment. Dr. Varner examined him and said they were not only full, but infected and put him on a 10-day course of Clavamox. But that wasn't the only bad news we got. She also said that he has a mass below his right anal gland that's suspicious and wants to see him back in 10 days to recheck. Said it could be associated with the anal infection, but she was doubted it. Says if it's still there in 10 days then they will operate to remove it and do a biopsy.

I've never been faced with this issue before in any of my dogs and could use some advice. Hubby and I fear that waiting a few weeks might not be the way to go, but perhaps the vet doesn't want to operate while he has an infection.

Anyone have similar issues??

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I am sorry to hear that. I don't have any experience with this but am sending well wishes to your Bentley!

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am sorry to hear about this. I do not have any experience to share with you, but please know I am thinking about you guys.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Our first dog had serious issues with anal glands. He ended up having them removed completely.

5. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    my vet does not like to do any surgery while pet has infection.
    when i got Sophie, she was 6 yrs old and her teeth were so infected, that had to be on antibotics first.after 2 weeks of them, then my vet did the teeth cleaning

6. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Awww. Poor Bentley. I do not have any experience with Bentley's problem but I am sending get well thoughts and prayers your way.

7. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Sending prayers all will be well.

8. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Hoping Bentley is starting to feel better and that the lump disappears! :fl

9. famous seamus

famous seamus Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011
    new jersey
    Aww so sorry hearing that Bentley is ailing, you and hubby must be so worried.

I have to express Harper's anal glands often and have them checked at each well visit. She is always 'packing' it seems. :ick

Wishing you well and that the infection caused the flare up and that it is nothing more complicated than that.

In my experience, a good vet will not operate while there is infection present and will opt out to clear the infection first.

Hugs for you and Bentley

Kate

10. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    Great news!

Thanks to all who were pulling for Bentley. His recheck went exceptionally well. Vet expressed his anals again and confirmed that the lump (which turned out to be the start of an abscess) has completely cleared. He will be on antibiotics for an extra week and get checked again in 2-3 weeks, but no surgery needed. Cary and I are so relieved and happy. Now he and Zoey can continue agility classes as planned. We hope to enter our first starter competition sometime this summer.