Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Safe For Pets: Wood Floor Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by take4roll10, Jun 12, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I was told not to use water or steamers on the wood floors.

I'll go to the supermarket this weekend and see if I can find something non-toxic and safe for pets.

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Yes do NOT use hot water or steam on your floor!! It will ruin them...ask my SIL. she has to sand and re-finish her floors after only 5 years...I never use steam I use a mop with just lukewarm water and sponge off the floors to get up the dirt/mud.

I do every few months polish my floors with a floor polish, it creates are hard bond with the floor so 6 dogs running on it doesnt ruin the floor. I let it dry a few hours and its good to go I dont worry about it with the dogs.

I know Method and there is another brand I think called 7th generation or something like that, that is supposed to be "green/Earth" friendly.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Method looks pretty good. I'll check the stores near me.

Thanks for recommending it Danielle and Linda!

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I like Method it smells sooo good! I get mine at Lowes home improvment store.

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I also heard that using steam on the hardwood is not good. It softens up the finish and can allow water to get on the wood after time.

The Method is great. I use it ALL the time. I think target has it too.