Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should I Let Her Chew?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Horse Chestnut, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey's another one who likes shredding. She usually won't do actual paper, and shows no interest in toilet paper rolls, but no cardboard box or tissue is safe. I thank her for her help with recycling and make sure the garbage cans are not accessible when I'm not home.

2. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Yep. Blaze shreds tissues too. With all you reporting the same thing, it must be a character trait of the breed. (Of course Blaze likes to chew on shoe laces, toes, pants/skirts, oxygen tubing, dandelions, moss, wood, just about anything ... :::Sigh:::)

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie loved to shred anything paper, she would even steal paper grocery bags....with the groceries in them.

Shelby too loves to shred paper towel tubes. We have a drawer full to giver her to "play" with every so often.

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    The craziest thing Spirit ever ate was my contact lens. I was sitting on my bed taking out my contacts at night, and she came running over and licked the lens case - grabbing my contact lens along with it. I was SOOOOOOOOOO mad at her!!!!!!!!

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    this might be an answer to Kaleigh's behavior. I wear lens, and lately Kaleigh has this deal where she gently sniffs and pokes my left eye. I wonder if there is something about the contact lens that she is noticing. She hasn't done it before, never really made the connection it might be the lens smells different or something-thanks!!!

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Funny you mention that about contact lenses. Whenever I am wearing them Shelby will out her nose right up to my eye ball, get as close as she can without touching it and just sniff my eye.

Maybe they do smell different.

7. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Each of mine with the toilet paper? They didn't shred it, they ran
    down the hall, down the steps to see how far they could take it before
    it broke. They got it half way down the stairs.

Lucky is 14 and Lil' Lady is 9 !/2. They did the exact thing. OH FUN!

8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    it has to be something about that left lens...because she hasn't done that unless I have the lens in. I wasn't really noticing it, but now I am, and it is only when I have them in...makes me wonder what they are smelling

9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Casey was not a shredder. Brodie was. When we lost Brodie, DH said, Well, the good news is that we won't have to pick up shredded tissues anymore. We got Annabelle, whose shredding put Brodie to SHAME! Annabelle takes great delight in shredding paper. She passed the trait onto her daughters. So now, we have three shredders. Drives DH crazy. And that just makes it slightly more amusing to my stepson and I. And the snottier the tissue, the better it is to shred it. I caught Clara figuring out how to lift the lid on the trash can in the living room. But a simple No has prevented her from scavenging too much in there.

10. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    I totally forgot about this fun aspect of shelties....well...the good news is I don't need to buy an expensive document shredder?