Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wife wants a new puppy. Surprisingly, I'm opposed!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Wife mentioned at lunch that she wanted a puppy, and already had one picked out. Basically, when she says she wants a puppy, she means this week.

I love dogs. Fasb had been a great addition to the family and my little buddy for over a decade now. I wouldn't trade him for anything. If things were different, I'd be all for adopting several dogs. But....

My first objection is that Fasb is still alive but needing a lot more care. He's been declining slowly the past year or two, but still has very high quality of life. Now that he has kidney problems, I'm expecting him to enter a more serious decline soon. It's been hard for us seeing him decline, even though so far he seems healthy, happy, and active. I think it's going to be a horrible experience for the family when the kidneys start to fail, so I' not even sure I want to think about another dog until we deal with that. And I'm definitely wanting to divert my attention from him right now to deal with a new dog

My second objection is that I hate (literally) where we live and think it's an awful place to raise a dog. It's a humid 90 here and will be for probably the next month or five weeks. Then we'll get three months of decent weather before extreme cold and snow set in. Our home does have heat and central air, of course, but it's a 40-year-old remodeled farmhouse that tends to heat and cool really unevenly. Add to that a wife who dislikes A/C and keeps the thermostat too high for me.....

So far as I know, Fasb's comfortable in the winter and summer. Right now, he sleeps in his usual spots, rarely pants, isn't drinking an excessive amount of water, etc. He doesn't seek out the coolest parts of the house and often sleeps on the top floor at night (with one of us. Wife and I sleep in separate rooms during the summer because she likes the window open at night with no ceiling fan). He doesn't give me much reason to think he's suffering, but I spend a lot of time worrying about it anyway. I'm a cold-weather person. I'm miserable here most every day during summer.

Anyway, yeah, it's tricky getting Fasb outside during summer and winter. I feel terrible whenever I see outdoor dogs. I think we're probably decent owners - we love Fasb, spoil him, give him lots of attention, keep him inside out of extreme weather, etc. - but I feel like things could go south really quickly one day just due to the environment. Fasb's care falls largely to me, so I'm the one that worries daily during the winter and summer about weather.

I'd told my wife before that I probably only wanted another dog if we moved - either to a more modern home, or out of this part of the country entirely. Apparently, she thought I was kidding. Guess not.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    PUPPPY!!! sorry :biggrin2:

My guys are in now as I let them in at lunc. But living in Alabama, 90 and humid is called summer and sometimes spring/fall. This cold you speak of lasts a couple of days and should be avoided.

Puppy!!!!

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I would agree with you for the reason that a puppy would be tough on Fasb at this point in his life. Puppies love to play and will try to play with everyone and anyone, and Fasb probably doesn't need and shouldn't be forced to fend off a persistent little furry friend.

Adding a new furkid to your life eventually though, can be a great idea. Our dogs adapt to temperature changes and lots of our members live in the hot south. But for now, I'd let Fasb enjoy the peace and quiet of being only dog getting all your attention.

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    you got my vote

When my previous Sheltie started to decline in 2013, lots of people said get a puppy now...and I just thought NO WAY, I wanted her to receive my full attention in her last days...She couldn't have handled that change in our routine. I know I wouldn't have done well with the responsibilities of an aging dog and the needs of a puppy. I think it would have been extremely rough on her emotionally. She was highly sensitive. I wouldn't do it...

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I also agree with you. I think it would be difficult to be able to spend the time needed to train a young puppy and give yourself 100% to and anging one. I know how much you love Fasb and want the best for him.

As you know our weather here is very much like yours. Lately it seems like summer or winter nothing in between. Too hot or too cold. But I think our fur babies are pretty good at adapting to the different climates. Neither of our dogs have ever had any problems adjusting.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I totally agree with you - give Fasb all your attention, love and care, so she can have a happy and quiet life the rest of her days.

A puppy requires so much work / attention from us humans, and the first time is so important.

But no doubt it will be a good decision getting a new little dog when Fasb not is with you any more.

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    My personal feelings are that when a senior doggie is dealing with health issues adding a pup would be very stressful for everyone involved. Puppies, even the sweetest ones, are a load for any senior dog to put up with...and when you add health issues it only makes the situation worse. There will be the right time for a pup in the future.

Trini

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with you. We have four Shelties and recently added a young Papillion. Only now is the dust settling -- two months or so. Even at 2.5 years, Loki has been stressful for the older Shelties. I won't even think of a puppy until Bitsy, Annie and especially Layla have gone to the Bridge. I want to focus on the babies who have worked so hard for others as therapy dogs and love us so well.

9. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    My DH pressured me into us getting a puppy this summer. I wasn't very keen on the idea but went along with it. Heaven help us, we didn't get another Sheltie either! We got a mini doxie female.

She has been both fun and a challenge. She's adorable and such a little firecracker, for us and our 2 senior Shelties. But she sure wears them out, and they get jealous of her when she gets attention or chews that they normally don't get for teething. Dinner has become Feeding Time at the Zoo. If you do end with a puppy, make sure to give Fasb places where puppy can't go when he needs to be alone and unmolested. Baby gates are perfect for us to give the seniors or puppy time outs.

Forrest had bags under his eyes for a month straight after she came home to us. Roxie wavered between baring her teeth or playing with the pup. By now Forrest has learned to play with her and seems to be having a second puppy-hood himself. The house is in a perpetually messy state now. It's like having a toddler running wild.

All that said, by now I'm glad we got her, she has added a lot to the family and peps us all up. But what an adjustment for everyone. If you're not both on board, I think it's best to wait for a puppy.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to agree! Not the right time.

When my first sheltie Kelsey passed I thought I would go crazy before I found another pup. I decided then and there to have several shelties... They range from ages 6-13. That way they all are accustomed to one another. When my Billy passed, my first rescue, I had another dog in the home to comfort me.

Change at this stage would not be very good... Just my opinion of course.

Good luck and virtual hugs to Fasb's :hugs