Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question about Natures Variety Instinct

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by posiepurrs, May 13, 2015.

1. posiepurrs

posiepurrs Forums Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    western Massachusetts
    I bought a bag of the nuggets. One day I forgot to put some in the refrigerator to thaw for the evening meal. I put them on a plate, set the microwave on defrost for 10 seconds and they sparked! Had burned spots on them so I threw them out and fed regular food. I know I am not supposed to microwave it, but thought that defrost for 10 seconds, just to soften them would be okay. Now I am afraid to use the food even thawing it properly since I thought only metal would spark in a microwave. My boy loves this food, but we are now using canned.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Interesting. I do know that they thaw REALLY fast. Maybe even 10 seconds was too long? We use them as treats and even just having them out they thaw in probably 10 minutes.

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    just curious

Have you thought of contacting the company and asking what ingredient would SPARK in a microwave...that seems odd...I would relish knowing the explanation:eek2:

4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    For a quick thaw you can put them in a small baggie and place in a bowl of water. Very odd that it would spark.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I keep a bag of the frozen chicken medallions at my parents house for when we visit. I have microwaved them before with no issue. What type of meat were you microwaving? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm really surprised there were sparks!

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I feed Stella and Chewys, which is also raw patties. If I forgot to thaw a meal, I put it in a ziplock bag and place the bag in room temp water for about 20 mins.

7. posiepurrs

posiepurrs Forums Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    western Massachusetts
    I did contact the company and they weren't any help - just told me not to microwave it. It was rabbit. Our local store is very limited in raw selection. They only carry this one brand.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Maybe liver? I made the mistake of microwaving chicken liver for the cat - it did all sorts of things before it exploded.