Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sleepypod Clickit Car Harness

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by corbinam, Apr 28, 2015.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Does anyone have one of these? Has anyone considered it?

http://sleepypod.com/clickit

This is supposedly the harness that passed the Center for Pet Safety's crash test.

I'm considering it for my car (though they are expensive...)

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    nope- haven't even seen that brand before.......

3. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I haven't heard of it but it would great if we could use that instead of the crate. It's more expensive than a second cheap plastic crate but not so much compared to a real airline kennel, I think.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  5. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have the Sleepypod Clickit Sport safety harness for my Sheltie and wouldn't travel without it! It was recommended by and purchased from our vet. I first found out about Sleepypod after watching several videos of other pet seatbelts that failed testing by the Center for Pet Safety. Some of those videos were downright scary with one harness even decapitating the test dog dummy! :eek2:

I chose the Clickit Sport over the Clickit Utility harness because my Sheltie is a service dog and I use the harness 4-12 times per day. The Clickit Sport has the same great safety rating but has been redesigned to only use the seatbelt. Just click 2 straps around your dog, feed the seatbelt through and you're ready to go! The width of the chest piece is perfectly proportioned for a Sheltie, being neither too wide or too narrow. It also fits low enough to still offer protection without covering the dog's throat. Another advantage over the Utility is that the Sport Clickit is cheaper because it requires less hardware and is thus cheaper to produce.

I tried 5 other doggy car restrains begore I got a Sleepypod one and none of them came close to being as good. The worst kinds were the ones with an extension strap that is supposed to help by giving the dog freedom to move. They gave my dog freedom alright - enough for him to dangle off the seat if I hit the brakes hard enough. The other ones with a single strap that the seatbelt fed under allowed my dog to get all tangled up when trying spin around before laying down. Neither of these problems occur with the Sleepypod Clickit Sport as the seatbelt feeds through a strap on both sides of the dog preventing the dog's bottom from swinging out from under or around him or her. The dog can still lay down but that's about all the movement it allows. In my opinion this is a good thing! A car restraint is supposed to do just that - restrain the passenger. Too much freedom and the dog isn't safe. We wouldn't accept a child's car seat that simply prevented the child from climbing into the front seat so why should we settle for that when it comes to our fur babies?

The only downside to the Clickit harness is that it tends to muss up my dog's coat a bit on top where the seatbelt slides through.That and, like all harnesses, I need to comb under my dog's "arm pits" slightly more often with regular use to prevent matts from forming. However, I think these inconveniences are a small price to pay for my dog's safety. Speaking of which, the harness may cost more but I can testify to it's durability. I have used the same one 4-12 times per day for 10 months and it still looks like new. Another plus is that if you ever do get into an accident with your dog wearing a Clickit harness you simply send a copy of the accident report with the old harness to Sleepypod and they will replace it free of charge!

6. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    This looks interesting. I may need to save up some money so I can get this. I already know my kennel is not a good one for traveling and this looks very reasonable.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Thanks for the GREAT review! Do you mind my asking--what size did you get for your pup? And how big is he?

Thanks again!

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I just got a medium for Gavin. He is approx 35lbs and 18 inches tall.
    I had to adjust the neck clips down to about as small as they would go.
    Will be testing it out Saturday on our trip to the vet, but doesn't seem like he could get out of it.

9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    the harness is fine and seems secure on Gavin..

only issue is that because of the way the seat belt slips through the straps on the back, Gavin was twisting and turning until he was all contorted. The sport model doesn't have anything to prevent that. I already have a locking rock climbing carabiner that I used to hook to the seat belt for the ruffrider roadie and I think I will get a seat belt extender (or something similarly strong) so that I can create a loop between those straps on his back and hook the carabiner to it (the straps themselves are too far apart for a carabiner).

10. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I have one. I liked the idea that it passed CPS's testing. And was the only one. I got one for Koji, but because of his odd body shape, it just didn't fit right. The size that would fit him is too wide in the front (I'm saying this for those that may have tall, but narrow-chested shelties). It would have rubbed uncomfortably on him. I sized down, but it was too small to fit correctly. I kept it in case my next dog would fit in it. Granted, I ended up with Vogue and I'm sure it'd fit her fine, but she likes the crate and I'm good with that too.

For those reading this thread and sizing issues, figured I'd post this info:
    https://www.facebook.com/sleepypod/posts/10152477197346659

I had responded on a FB post about the harness for Koji. He's about 17.5" tall and 20lbs. He's long and narrow. Narrow chest (never popped open). The harness I purchased was a small. After I posted these, they called me (they were absolutely AWESOME about the entire thing. I mean, seriously, we spoke multiple times about sizes, fit, etc). Long story short. The harness was too short (across the length of the body).

But because of Koji's narrow chest, I couldn't size up because it would never get tight enough. If you can read the FB post above, I stated that the strap around his neck was at the tightest and at the chest was at the loosest. Also, if I sized up, the strap at the chest area, was going to be too wide and would rub against his legs as he walked. It probably wouldn't do any harm while in the car. However, my concern was more for where the harness would put pressure on his body if I did get into a crash and after speaking to Sleepypod, we agreed that it could probably do more harm than good.

Overall, because of Koji's strange body type, this just did not work. That being said, I'd think it wouldn't work for certain types of breeds either. I would think that this would fit on a normal body shaped sheltie. Mine just has to be difficult. Haha.

Their customer service is awesome. They offered to give me a full refund, but I chose to keep it because it is an awesome product and I knew I was going to get another dog.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015