Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I can't manage with so much fur

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by alonsoe, Mar 23, 2015.

1. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Please I need advice, I need help....my shelties are the best thing I have, but I can hardly manage with their fur! even with a dotzen of combs!

They are now one year old and I think they are shedding since months ago, I don't know if it is the way it works for ever or if it's only because this is the first year for them and they have been changing the puppy fur into the adult and now they have started shedding...but it's unending!:no:

I had a chow so I'm quite used to the shedding periods and to clean the house, clothes and every thing dialy....but with this little guys I do it since months ago...maybe since the first day :rolleyes2:

I bought a Dyson super-handly-vacuum, the best staff you can buy with two shelties at home. I clean the sofas, the bed (they are allowed to sleep with us) forniture, floor and every thing...but in hours I will start again.

I comb them twice a week to help the house to be cleaned, but I spent so much time in combing, cleaning, walking, and ALL with them, that I have the conclusion that shelties are for people unemployed or something similar. I work outside, have two children, well...three with my husband, so sometimes I'm upset!:gaah

The female is combed in only half an hour, but the male is show quality...so he needs a lot of time to be completely combed.

I suposse the warm weather in Spain doesn't help to fix the shedding periods in a short period of time...

Please tell me your experiences with your furbies...

Thanks to all!:smile2:

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Springtime is especially hard when they are blowing their winter coat but shelties are a breed that does shed and, even with good regular grooming to remove loose fur, a house with Shelties is a house with dog hair everywhere. I vacuum every morning and by later in the day if we are having guests I have to vacuum again so everyone doesn't leave here covered in doggie hair...and I have long since given up wearing anything black!

I do currently have multiple dogs and years ago when I had just one sheltie it was not so bad...I could usually get away with vacuuming only 2 to 3 times a week.

Trini

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Shelties are very good shedders. I give Merlin a good groom and five minutes later there is a pile of fluff on the floor where he has been sitting. It is a never-ending job.

Do you line brush with a slicker? That is where you brush the fur first the wrong way, then brush it back in sections. It helps take out heaps of undercoat, which is where most of the loose fur seems to come from.

I'm afraid to say you are on a losing battle to try and keep your house dog-hair free. I hoover every evening to pick up loose fur and dirt the dogs have brought in, but it doesn't take long for it to return. I bought a carpet cleaner at Christmas and was shocked to discover the fur the deep cleaning brushes were getting out of the carpet, even though I was hoovering every day!

4. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Thanks, I think I just have to resign myself to the fact that my house will never be the same...:no:, because I'll never give up having shelties! and definetly the black is my favourite color!

In few days is coming home my best friend who lives in Miami, she's allergic of the fur....I usually make a wellcome party to her at home, but this time I think it would be better to go outside :eek:

Thanks for your advises and trully answers :wink2:

5. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    The method is, after reading the sheltie forums advices, you-tube videos and other advices online...., first I wet them with water and conditioner on and under the fur, then I brush in the opposite way, then by parts separating the fur and reaching the undercoat....after that sometimes I comb again with the furminator (I know most of you don't like it :uhoh:) and sometimes with the racket or the most thin comb...here called "carda" or the other with thin and long picks. I wear specially clothes for this and I do it outside in a table for avoiding backache.

I'm not sure if it is the perfect way to comb, but this is the way I take much fur from them.....and from the house :winkgrin:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    We have four Shelties and a Corgi-Beagle. At our house, dog hair is a condiment. I only wear black when I'm all dressed up -- and I carry a lint roller in every car. :rolleyes2:

7. Saturn_skye

Saturn_skye Forums Regular

Nov 9, 2014
    Eastern Illinois
    Declin gets brushed once a week with a pin brush, and then I use the slicker on his ears, legs, and feet.

I haven't had a problem with fur everywhere up until yesterday when I brushed him… He never really lost the puppy fluff on his back third and now he's just starting to blow some coat… So I'll be upping his brushing to twice a week for a bit. I should be thankful that I don't have fur everywhere because he has so much of it!

Also, a bath will help to loosen up some of the fur.

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    We did that with our last dog who was half-Sheltie, and even though his coat was short, the undercoat was very thick and he left literally tons of fine little hairs everywhere he went.

Dickens has a relatively short coat for a Sheltie, but hardly sheds at all, even with the dense undercoat.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You're doing all the right things, alonsoe...hang in there! It does sound like your two are losing their puppy coat and that's why you're seeing so much shedding. Do you feed a good coat supplement? Mine eat Vibrant Pets; I have five and our shedding isn't bad. Of course they blow coat seasonally but it's manageable.

I do give them a once-over with a pin brush daily and a more thorough brushing once a week, but unless they're showing, that's it. I think your problem will improve once your pups have their adult coats.

10. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    They have their adult coat since 4 months ago, they are gorgeous! When they changed the fur through puppies to adult they shed a lot, but in a different way, all was under control by brushing them....but now, it's incredible...and frustrating at the same time :(

They shed the fur and the under coat, every day!

I have been changing their food, akana and other really expensive others....but they don't like most of them (mainly if it's made with fish)....so I have decided to give them the more tasty and good at the same time, and I complete it with salmon oil at night. Occasionally I give them vitamines also.

The fact is that I washed them monthly, but I read at the forum that it's not good for them....so I'm tryin to delay the bath until 2 months....maybe that's the problem, they really shed better when I wash them more often.

And yes, I have the sticky rolls everywhere and other tools...and the fur has become a condiment in my food too!...:ick