Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ideas for weight gain

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Justicemom, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ok I rarely ask for advise in this area but I am sort of at a point of indecision here.

Celtic is the most unfood motivated sheltie I have never met. He currently eats Life Abundance kibble. This is the food that his 2 breeders(who are also his co-owners) feed so switching is not an option. This is the food they want him on so I stick with their wishes. He currently eats between 1.5 and 2 cups a day. I struggle to get that in him some days.

He likes boiled chicken, steak and boiled liver(the good stuff) for treats and also natural balance rolls and occasionally wellness and blue buffalo stixs for treats. He acts like he wants food but then when offered he turns up his nose or eats it so slowly you are about lose your mind.

The issue is he is also the most active dog and at 17.5lbs is a bit under weight. As the weather has gotten nice, he is running a lot and losing weight. He has ok muscle but could use some more and I think that is from not having enough calories to build great muscle and maintain coat etc.

Thus my problem, does anyone have any ideas on something to supplement to his diet to help him gain weight? I have some ideas but just can't make a decision.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Do you give coconut oil? Adding coconut oil to Bailey's food helped her gain a little weight.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Coconut oil is a great idea. You could also add some sweet potatoes, or even regular potatoes which are good carbohydrate and energy sources that free up the proteins you're feeding to help weight gain. Most dogs love sweet potatoes. They're a pain to work with fresh but you can use frozen or canned. Might also add some more taste to his food.

When I need to add weight, I add some canned food to the diet. It perks up the dog's appetite and is much richer than kibble. I like Merrick and Evangers, but there are lots of good brands out there. Evangers makes great pate types which you can add with some water for a gravy that also perks up the picky eaters.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Scramble an egg in coconut oil. That's what we do for our Irish who hates to eat. She can't resist it.

5. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes I fed it but not to Celtic. He does not like it. Weirdo.:(

6. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I could try scrambled eggs. maybe he would eat coconut oil with something was cooked in it

7. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    could try sweet potatoes if he doesn't like it I will eat them.:smile2:

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I was going to recommend this same thing.

9. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I should mention that Celtic has been dewormed and is otherwise health as a horse. His Grandpa Grizz and Uncle Birch were also lean as young dogs.

Grizz is like Celitc in the food department. Birch would run over his own mother for food. Life abundance was the one food that put weight on both Grizz and Birch which is why there is commitment to it.

10. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I had to stop buying the dried sweet potato treats for Hanna as she gained too much weight when I was using them.