Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

ACL & LCL tear

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Maggiemay, Jan 14, 2012.

1. candyfranklin

candyfranklin Forums Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I just met someone at the Veterinary Specialty Hospital that is treating my Maggie for her liver, kidney and pancreas problems. A couple brought their dog in with the same injury and they took her home a couple of days after the surgery and she was walking. This was the second time that this happened. I am located in Raleigh, NC but I can see if they know of a good orthopedic surgeon in your area if you would like. Just let me know.

2. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    Knowing your location, I would think a call to the UPENN Vet school would help you get to the right surgeon.
    In our area, we can travel to Tufts Vet Hospital for specialized treatments.
    These schools can be a great resource.

3. Maggiemay

Maggiemay Forums Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Akron, PA
    Maggie to get eval

Maggie has an appointment with a vet in the Lancaster area for an evaluation. I will know if this vet can do the surgery or if I have to take her somewhere else to have it done. Please cross your fingers and say a little prayer for Maggie that her injury is not as bad as I think and she can have her surgery close to home.

Maggie's Mom

4. Maggiemay

Maggiemay Forums Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Akron, PA
    Good News

Maggie's eval went well. She is going to have surgery next Tuesday. I found a vet close to home that will do the surgery at about half of the cost of what I was afraid it was going to be if we had to go out of the area.

Thank you for all of the input and support. I will let you know how it goes.

5. Maggiemay

Maggiemay Forums Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Akron, PA
    Maggie's surgery

Maggie had her surgery yesterday and all went well. She didn't have a tear in her LCL so that was good news. After a night away from home she is coming home today. After about 8 weeks of recovery and she should be good as new.

Thanks again for all the response and support.

Maggie May's Mom

6. sheltiemom4

sheltiemom4 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011
    Middletown, OH
    Glad to hear her surgery went well and the injury wasn't as bad as thought. Hope she heals quickly!!!

7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks for the update and I am very glad to hear that she is doing well.

Good luck keeping her quiet when she gets home :lol:

8. Maggiemay

Maggiemay Forums Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Akron, PA
    Maggie at home

She has been pretty good staying quiet and not trying to run around too much since she injured herself. My other sheltie tries to get zoomies going but I stop them. I can't wait until I can let them just zoom around the yard to their hearts content. Maggie has a problem with going out on the leash to go potty. She is not on a leash in the yard so this is all new to her. She hasn't had to do this since she was a puppy. Plus she just loves getting a plastic bag on her bandage. Good times. But oh her beautiful coat. She has a half shaved back end.:lol It is going to be interesting when that starts to grow back in.

Maggie's Mom

9. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Maggiemay

So good to hear she is dealing well, or should i say you are doing well with the everyday recovery! Lol We love these little guys so much, and they are so sweet its hard to see them hurting. Speedy and healthy recovery coming your way.

10. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Happy to hear her surgery went well. Prayers for a speedy recovery.