Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Canning jar lids

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by fuzbuttsheltie, Aug 27, 2012.

1. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I am thinking of using canning jar lids as the metal for the AKC Utility scent discrimination exercise. It's my understanding that the lids contain BFA. Does anyone know others who are using these lids and if they are coating them to protect their dogs? If so, what are they using? Also, how long do the canning jar lids hold up? I understand they are fragile and fall apart easily.

The Round the Clock method of teaching articles entails the placement of cheese directly on the articles. Food is the transmitter of BFA. I can teach the tie-down method as that's how Dalton learned, but the RTC method is so darn easy.

Dalton is 10" and 10lbs, he has two sets of 1.5" by 1.5" by .25" diameter articles but they're so tiny stewards are playing with them. I have matched more than 70 times with Dalton trying to get him use to others' scent...he doesn't like it.

Anyone have any experience using the canning jar lids or know of anyone you can ask?

Dani
    Staymat Magnificent Journey UD, OM1
    Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
    Blackmyst Poker Face

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My practice set is canning rings, I had no idea they could be bad for him!
    I used a sharpie to write the numbers on them...

Yikes what do I coat them with to protect my boys? My rings will bend if I step on them, but the boys don't chew on them.

Justus is just starting to have to find mine after others have touched it the pile.

They are wrestling on the couch right now... They sound fierce but I know how wimpy they really are. :)

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    A famous trainer told me she used clear polyurethane on her Paps metal articles, but I think polyurethane isn't good for dogs either!

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Honestly, I don't believe the canning rings actually contain BPA - BPA is in the plasticky coating inside an aluminum can, or on the underside of a canning lid (you know, the flat part with the button that pops up). It's used to treat the metal so that it doesn't react with the food inside the can or jar. But since the rings don't ever touch food, I suspect they're plain-old non-BPA-treated metal. Give the company a call just to check - but think about it, why would they treat the ring, which never touches food?