Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to break a nasty habit ?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by dkean, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Faveokatro

Faveokatro Forums Regular

May 7, 2011
    New York
    I don't think you can completely inhibit your dog from eating poop untended, but you should be able to prevent them from going after their own right after dropping it. I always act really excited when Cora's doing her business so she runs to me right after she's done, and then walk over to pick it up. A sharp "unh unh!" dissuades her if she does go after other poop, generally.

2. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a terrible time with my shelties eating each other's poop until I started feeding them Orijen. I'd switched their food before but it wasn't until I started feeding a higher protein grain free food that they stopped eating their poop.

I now feed them Acana, which is still grain free but lower protein and they haven't returned to their bad habit.

I also agree with what the others have said, the only way to mange the problem is to pick up right away. It won't completely stop the problem, but its FAR easier to keep it under control if you're there to pick it up right after they eliminate.

3. Faveokatro

Faveokatro Forums Regular

May 7, 2011
    New York
    Hm, I also feed Orijen.. maybe that's why I never had much trouble keeping her from eating her own poop.

4. sheltiemom4

sheltiemom4 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011
    Middletown, OH
    My vet suggested sprinkling meat tenderizer on their food and it worked!!!

5. bwauer

bwauer Forums Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I agree 100% with the folks that mentioned diet. Some of the dog food out there has way too many things in it that just make the poo taste like their food...fillers and stuff like that...when we switched the cats and our dogs to the higher quality food (not that I think you are giving your dog "bad" food) it really really improved not only the amount of waste (poo sessions) but the desire to eat it. Look into the brand of food you are feeding and hopefully that will save you a ton of frustration...that and picking it up like you are doing as you can. GOOD LUCK!!

6. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting. I tried that but it didn't discourage my pups.

7. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Take it for what you may...the only easy way to stop poop eating,is to clean it up as soon as it hits the ground.
    I have still 1 that enjoys the stuff..its the princess Mia. It is just disgusting. So we make a diligent effort to be out there,to clean up right after they go.

We have tried everything,and nothing works.

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I would use caution,as it is high in sodium...

It did not work here,not one bit. We tried pineapple,meat tenderizer,pills...

9. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Yuck! I think I would be tolieting the dog on lead, taking it into the house for a cookie upon completion of the movement and then going out sans dog to do clean up. I've had a couple of dogs try to start this behaviour but was fortunate enough to nip it in the bud but my friend with Portuguese Water Dogs has had no success in stopping it. Everyone I talk to that has one of these Porties seems to have poop eaters.