Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My groomer shaved my Sheltie!!!!!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Maggy and Katy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
  2. Maggy and Katy

Maggy and Katy Forums Novice

Apr 12, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks

I should submit this to the groomer who shaved her. But seriously thanks, it looks like it would be helpful. :yes:

3. thebippies

thebippies Forums Regular

May 13, 2008
    My Mom used to have her sheltie shaved every spring (not sure why) - but her hair always grew back and it was long and pretty.

I would never shave my girls.

4. Amanda Kathleen

Amanda Kathleen Forums Regular

May 14, 2008
    Utah
    That is so awful :/ I would be SO upset. We took our miniature American eskimo to be groomed once and they gave her a lion cut and I was devestated (and so was she!) I hope it all grows back just as nice. You can also try Paul Mitchell dog oatmeal shampoo and coat conditioner, it works wonders on Shelbie's fur :smile2:

5. Rizack

Rizack Forums Regular

May 16, 2008
    Being a ex hairdresser, i think there was a lack of comunication on the part of the groomer. My first question would have been " what do you mean by trim" Then i would have asked " do you want just the scraggley ends trimed off, like they would do for a show dog " Do you want it shave down to maybe an inch or two" I want you to be happy, what exactly to YOU mean by trim! And if they told me the skirts were too long i would be a little more specific as too how many inches they wanted off! I too would not trust just any groomer, i have heard too many stories as your.
    PS the hair will come back!:winkgrin:

6. preston

preston Forums Regular

May 18, 2008
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Strange grooming question

Okay, we're very new to the world of Shelties. We love of 6 mos old boy, Chase but once in a while he has some remenents of poop that get caught in his hind fur. Our prior dogs were labs so we haven't run into this before. I saw a prior comment about having the hind quarters trimmed by a groomer. Is this something others run into?

also, what type of comb/brush is good to use and what shampoo would you recomment?

thanks for your help!

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I recommend you just use a pair of scissors to trim a "channel" so he doesn't get any cling-ons. I don't recommend shaving back there -- think how itchy it would feel! Why pay when you can do it for free?:yes:

8. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    I just trim right around their butt, so the feces doesn't stick.

I use a long-tine pin brush (picked it up at a dog show, and it's made specifically for long-haired dogs.) Small tooth comb (tines close together) work best for getting knots out.

I use mane and tail for their shampoo!

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I trim Callie when I brush her- just lift the tail and snip, snip. I use the little ear trimming scissors. I also trim the excess fur inside her ears- one had an infection when I got her so I try to keep them clean. We use a regular citrus dog shampoo- smells good for a little while, and an undercoat rake to brush her long beautiful hair and all the stuff underneath.:smile2:

10. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Who's Heard of A Furminator Brush

I use small trimming scissors to trim the fur under Sadie's tail, around her paws and between the pads of her toes.

I use a slicker brush to smooth out her coat but for shedding I use a Furminator brush. I can't tell you how wonderful it its, it takes out any loose fur and helps with her shedding immensly. Its expensive, I recommend trying to buy it on Ebay like I did, but if you're grooming your own dog its so worth the money. Its been great for gently working out small mats, you just have to be careful not to pull to much, as with any grooming tool.

http://www.furminator.com/

This other company makes a similar brush that I was told by my breeder works equally well. Other than these two places I've never seen any other companies that make anything even similar.

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/love2pet_groomingbrush.html