Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dirty Dog

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by beardiedawg, Oct 22, 2014.

1. beardiedawg

beardiedawg Forums Regular

Oct 15, 2014
    Texas
    Does anyone else have a sheltie that thinks rolling in dirt is the best thing ever? Every time we go to the dog park, Gus has to find the grass-free areas and make snow angels in the dirt. Right now maintenance has been okay. Since he had been previously shaved (he's a rescue) I just throw him in the tub. I'm hoping once his fur grows in, the outer coat will keep him clean with just a brushing.

Also, he has an armadillo butt of fat. We're working the weight off him but in the mean time, I am doing butt wipes but he has some fur where the sun don't shine that is becoming matted. I'm thinking of getting a shaver and cleaning him up. Any suggestions on a brand or what I should look for?

When I say armadillo butt, here's what I mean. It's gotten better in the two months I've had him but still needs work.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/beardiedawg/125901844.jpg

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a cutie! :biggrin2:

My 3 boys do not seem to want to roll in the dirt but my one sheltie loves to roll in the grass... The other one is so paranoid of stepping in a puddle when we go for walks!

I wonder if rolling in the dirt alleviates an itchy skin problem. I know some animals have a tenancy to roll in dirt or mud to help prevent bugs from attacking them. Since his has very little fur now I wonder if that might be the issue...

You might ask the vet! He is an absolute sweetie! Thanks for being there for him! :lol:

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have a Sheltie that likes to play in the water at the dog park, and if there is a mud puddle, she's in it. It's pretty gross (and annoying).

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Celtic loves to roll in the grass and dirt, dig holes and get wet. thank goodness he is black. Ember also loves dust bath not as wild about water..

5. beardiedawg

beardiedawg Forums Regular

Oct 15, 2014
    Texas
    We're working on probably allergies so the rolling may help his itch. I just wish he would pick the grassy areas. He's just so different from my collie who is "allergic" to getting wet, dirty, messy, etc.

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    There is hope for that...Honey sheds dirt without even needing brushed. I can send her into the worst muck you can find, she'll come out black and tarred. I tell her to run through some tall grass and her legs are sparkling white again.

Than we laugh at our non sheltie owning friends who let their dogs follow Honey and who they now need to wash.

From what I've heard it can go either way with Shelties? I know not all of them seem as easy to clean as Honey, but many people have also said that a simple spritz and brush work fine for them.

If it wasn't for the bug bites during the summer we'd actually be able to follow the recommended four or five baths a year.

For his allergies, you can try what our vet recommended... it's called resisoothe, it's a leave on lotion, and it does seem to really help her itching calm down.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Well there is dirt and there is stink!

Indy thinks that Canada Goose poo is great for rolling! Only remedy for that is bath

So I've never felt the need for immediate baths if they got muddy. I just hosed them, then towelled them off and the mud would normally dry off and flake off. I kept them outside as long as possible to dry off Just needed a vacuum after sometimes.

8. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey would like to recommend to Indy that dead field mice, and the occasional squashed frog make for a nice break from the perfume of goose poop! :wink2:

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Apparently Celtics brother Ranger likes to roll in ripe choke cherries. His is a biblue and it looks like he has blood all over himself. Lovely, not.

10. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    All three of mine love the middle outskirts of the pond