Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Genetics--Sue Bowling Site

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Sheltiez4evr, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sheltiez4evr

Sheltiez4evr Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
  2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Thanks for the links - I've bookmarked them as lots of interesting reading there.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I find it odd she hits awfully heavily on the double merle issue, going into percentages and such without really hitting on the appropriate way to breed which is of a merle to a non merle and talking about percentages there and such.

She doesn't talk about the common white eye spots that are harmless. She doesn't talk about colobomas which are not so harmless.

While this makes the case against double merles quite clear, I don't really think it does much to talk in favor of merles. There is a great deal of responsible merle breeding and this article doesn't much showcase it.

Knowing the direction the OP is pursuing in consideration of a merle, merles are not any more unhealthy than other dogs. However, as with any dog, a trained peek in the eyes is crucial as well as testing other things in the parents and such.

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Cara - some of that info is in the first link.

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Didn't have time to wade though the many links on the first link.

6. Sheltiez4evr

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sheltie health is really in the hands of responsible, knowledgable breeders, as is always the case.

From what I'm learning, Merle's are healthy with the Mm genome--one dog with the dilution gene bred to a dog without the gene.

This may be an oversimplification, and I need to learn more. Will post more information as I become better informed. For me, these sites are not comprehensive, but seem a good place to start. Purdue has some good information.

More to come.

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Now, mind you, I don't AT ALL in any universe condone double merle breeding. We had a thread on it -- I seriously fought tooth and nail.

However, EVEN a double merle breeding won't produce all bad pups. You can get an Mm Mm MM and mm unless you breed double merle to double merle and I don't even know if anyone does that. The other pups from the litter are perfectly normal and the MM ones are fairly obvious and not going to be offered to you for purchase.

So again, I don't believe double merle breeding should ever be done, but I was once offered a litter of a double merle breeding. There was a tri and 2 merles. They dodged the bullet, it was an accident thing and the pups were turned over to rescue for placement. I ended up not getting them as my Shay showed up, but they were perfectly healthy little dogs. No double merle was produced in that litter.

You don't find the double merles offered for sale as pets from your reputable breeders (who probably wouldn't breed that anyway).

Merles are perfectly sound. Having a vet check the eyes should be done anyway, merle or no. My best best dog ever was a merle Aussie.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Fletcher is a very healthy, happy bi blue boy, a product of a blue merle to bi black breeding.

9. Sheltiez4evr

Sep 8, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the Fletcher ref. He is quite the handsome fellow.

I'm very interested in a Merle girl, with the same breeding as Fletcher, and am waiting to hear about her availability.

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Fingers crossed for the one you are looking at to be your baby.