Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get a Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by BarbV, Sep 16, 2009.

1. belvin20

belvin20 Forums Regular

Feb 24, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    I got my first Sheltie 30yrs ago, he was a Tri, no body wanted him back the because everybody wanted a little Lassie. Well needless to say, I had the best Sheltie in the world and from that time on, there has only been Shelties in our lives. The trend moved on and my children have Shelties of their own. We are a Sheltie family and at this point in time a I have 3, just like potato chips, you cannot have just one. There is no other dog like a Sheltie.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Rolling on the floor here!!!

4. FedAce

FedAce Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2009
    Because they are Pretty.:lol:

5. Fergus

Fergus Forums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009
    BC, Canada
    I'm the odd one out because I actually didn't choose to have a sheltie. I had one foisted upon me. Not that I'm complaining, mind you....My greedy little fingers were going gimme gimme gimme. :lol::lol::lol:

6. Furmom

Furmom Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008
    Grapevine, Texas
    I have been in love with the breed for as long as I can remember. We got Angel because we wanted a companion for our collie. And I wanted a dog who was attached to me. Selfish I guess but we lost my Valentine because of a brain tumor. She was my baby. My heart was broken and so I found Tiara our collie on petfinder. She was a sweetheart and just wonderful....she bonded with my husband. She loves me but she was always with him. About 9 months later I saw Angel posted on Petfinder. She was so sweet and had been sent from house to house. She was 9 months old. It was love at first sight. At first she was timid and barked at every little noise. Now she is thriving. She seems fearless and is such a joy. I laugh at her and Tiara daily. They bonded so well together. It's amazing. There is nothing like a sheltie and there is nothing like a collie. They are simply wonderful.

7. mcguiregirl2248

mcguiregirl2248 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
    Britton, MI
    Well, I guess my love of shelties stems back to my grandma and her little girl named Tangie. She was a little sheltie and I loved her to bits because I was little so she was perfect. My grandma also had a golden retriever that I loved vey much as well. When my grandma passed we got to keep the golden and my mom was hooked on them for the rest of her life. She has now had 3 of them. I'm not sure what happened to Tangie, I think because she was older, my grandma may have had her put down or gave her away to someone else. I'm not sure if I want to know.

Anyway, jump ahead from childhood to almost 3 years ago. My husband and I had a sheltie/beagle mix and she was his buddy. She had the long hair of a sheltie but the beagle ears and the beagle bark! She was a funny dog. She lived to be 12. We also had my dad's golden retriever at that time, he was 14 and a month after we lost Mikey (the girl dog), Buddy collapsed and couldn't get back up. I said no more big dogs. John couldn't leave work and help me that day, it was terrible. After that we started our search for a new dog, it just wasn't right in the house without one. We looked at border collies but something told me to go with the sheltie, I was just drawn to them more than anything..... at the end of June we adopted Marlie and by Aug. we had Zoe and the following Feb. we had Rasha. I guess you could say that I was hooked!! I wouldn't change it for anything!