Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

what treats do you suggest

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Shelby's mom, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby and I are going to begin volunteering at a local nursing home. We will be making visits to the residents. I know that they are going to want to give her treats, and I also want to take treats to use as encouagement for Shelby. I just don't want her to have too many calories. I will cut back her feeding on those days to compensate, but any suggestions for a healthy substitute for the treats? I was thinking of some pieces of carrots. She loves any friut or veggie. Thanks for the suggestions.

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    If she likes carrots they would be a good choice. If Lexi has been getting a lot of treats from training, I cut back a little on her food at meal time.

Be careful about letting residents give your dog treats. Have a very solid "leave it" trained and keep a watchful eye out. I've heard of cases where patients have offered therapy dogs medications by mistake.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Carrots and peas both have high sugar. Will she do small pieces of fresh green bean or cauliflower?

4. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    If you feed her kibble....bring some of that.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    The residents may have a harder time with handling fruits and veggies--just because they are wet and require you to wash your hands afterwards :)

If you're looking for an easy to carry around, not too high in calories dog treat I would recommend Little Stars. They are really small, and the sweet potato ones smell really good!

Here's the amazon link and you can also find them at Petco.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have our first visit next week. I think I will try the little stars. She actually does very well with "leave it" but I will definitely keep a very close watch to make sure she doesn't get something she shouldn't. I never thought about the risk of someone giving her pills by mistake.

I never realized carrots were high in sugar. Our vet suggested carrots when she was teething and she loves them I nave yet to find any fruit or veggie that she doesn't like. She even loves lettuce.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I would be looking for low calorie, high reward, small size treats. I sometimes offer Charlee Bears to dogs coming into the store. Nothing in them that could cause any upsets, etc.

http://www.charleebear.com/dog+treats+low+calories+products.php

I've discovered that my boys adore Sweet Potatoe rawhide made by Crumps. Its nothing but sweet potatoe (no other additives, etc.) and you can easily cut it up into smaller bits. And non-greasy. Even if it dries out a little in your pouch, they still love it. They are a little bit chewy so require more than just a gulp.

http://www.crumps.ca/products/sweet-potato-rawhide

I also support that most of the treating should be managed by you, if possible. I know the residents would love to give treats, but not just "because"....it should be reward driven. Just my two cents worth

p.s. Good for you for doing this! I've always wanted to do this myself. When I first looked into it, I was told my pups were too young. Now the pups are old enough but I don't have the time!

8. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    My boy wasn't picky about treats. :) He thought that plain, unsweetened, Cheerios made a dandy reward treat.

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I second Charlee Bears. They're only 3 calories each, all natural and made in the US.

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Just remember that like any other service dog, therapy dogs are working when they visit. My suggestion is to keep treating by the residents to a minimum so that the dog doesn't look focus as to why they are there.