Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How to make collie/heltie head (show grooming)?

Discussion in 'Show Grooming' started by latinsheltie, May 15, 2011.

1. latinsheltie

latinsheltie Forums Novice

May 15, 2011
    Chile
    Thank you everyone I'll check the books and try to talk to the kennel :smile2:
    Thank you again :smile2:

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

On a related note, but nothing to do with ruffs......

I brought my dogs to a "real" Sheltie breeder for grooming two weeks ago.

I don't know what she did to the boy's hocks, but even after two weeks and wallowing in the mud of the cottage, those hocks are fluffed out and looking great.

I know she only uses scissors....if I can get the secret from her, I will share! :wink2:

3. SheltieMommy

SheltieMommy Forums Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Sunny Midwest
    Some shelties also just have coats that "fluff" more than others! My Murphy has very silky fur. It's coarser on his behind, but no matter what I do, I can't get his ruff to look like that picture! My groomer said that it's just not going to happen with his fur texture. I was sad....but he's quite handsome anyway! I console myself by knowing that he's just really nice and soft to snuggle! :wink2:

4. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

The breeder that taught me how to groom Mikos (while she was grooming him), showed me that you use the slicker brush (hers was curved) on the hocks. She brushed the fur all to one side and used scissors to just even up the fur, then she brushed it all to the other side and did the same thing. Then she brushed all the fur up and evened up the line again. Very little fur was cut but they sure looked nice when she was done!