Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

CanAm 2014

Discussion in 'Flyball' started by SheepOfBlue, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We're up next at 368. Turn and Burn is 388. So just check that flyballgeeks website to see which ring. We don't know at the moment.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you're coming up in pink so won't get to see you.....:(

3. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We lost. It was pretty terrible. One of our dogs was just exhausted. His time went up a full second.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    No video Sca we are purple ring

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Sca was in purple but they stayed in red so didn't get to see them either................

6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    And done. I have a room but we are done early enough I am considering showering giving the guys water and heading home. In past years it was 3 hours later so I figured driving all night and arriving a wreck was no better than just staying and getting home later. But now.....

7. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Well now that I'm almost fully recovered from CanAm, I can provide a little recap. We traveled with my friend Roberta and her two dogs. She has a smerle Sheltie named Savvy who is very petite, only 13lbs, and a border-jack named Crush. He's about the same size as Missy, a little heaver because he's more muscular. He's pretty much solid muscle.. it hurts when he hits you with his body. He and Missy are pretty much best friends, and they play really nicely. They play non-stop in the motels until we make them go to bed.

Missy did great on the drive up there. She has a bad habit of whining (which is actually pretty quiet, I'm the only one who notices it apparently.) when we slow down or stop. So anytime we exit the freeway she whines, slow down in traffic, whines. Luckily about halfway through our main travel day, she figured out she wasn't done traveling yet and stopped whining. She does great in motels. Like I said, she plays with Crush until we go to bed. Crush has to sleep in a crate and Missy sleeps in my bed. My friends dogs actually make Missy look very well behaved. Savvy has a bad habit of hunting for crumbs, and Crush is only 15 months old and he's half jack.. he's always looking for trouble. I don't think I've ever seen a dog that just wanders around looking for something to get into like he does! He ate my earplugs in one swift motion, stole my socks at one point. Missy just sits on the bed and watches us.. or follows me around. Good puppy!

The tournament was fun. Friday we started off okay. We raced a team from Alaska and they beat us. Then we raced Sheep's club (he was boxloading, Sca was not racing). For some reason instead of running down the lane and getting her ball, she ran outside the lane, to the other lane, ran around the box (Sheep), and came back. She hasn't gotten an interference like that since Feb and I thought we had moved past that.. but I guess not. The two doodles on our team kept bobbling balls. I don't know why.. luckily they got it together for Saturday and Sunday. After Friday I made the suggestion to switch the two doodles because they're family (one is owned by an older couple and the other is owned by their adult daughter). The less experienced doodle, Murphy, was having a hard time going 2nd and passing Red, our border collie. He kept slowing down at the line, which caused him to lose momentum, then he would bobble his ball at the box, and then be slower coming back as well. The reason we had him 2nd was because Missy also intimidates him and he'll end up going around the last jump on the way back if he sees her coming towards him. Willie, the more experienced doodle, doesn't have problems passing Red and he actually gets Murphy all fired up. After we made that switch on Saturday our times got much better. Murphy didn't have issues passing Missy so that worked out well.

Saturday we did really well. Missy had one little ball bobble and that was it. We had a lot of clean runs. They seed you on Sunday based on your fastest time on Saturday. They divide the teams up into groups of 10, then split those groups by evens/odds. We were #10 in our division! Surprisingly, we ended up beating the first 3 teams. They were really close races and we usually ended up winning because the other team got a flag. Well when it came to the last race, the doodles were worn out. Murphy was running a full second slower. I think Missy was the only one who wasn't slowing down (she's also the youngest). In the last couple races, every time I tried to pass her closer to Murphy, she was the one who would go around the jumps. She ended up doing it twice in the last race. Also bobbled a ball (box loaders fault, he forgot to put the ball in and he did it last minute and by that time she was like, "what ball?"). Needless to day, we lost that last race.. pretty badly. But we had a lot of fun! I'm hoping we get more people to go next year and we can have 2 teams!

Missy also got her latest title on Saturday. Flyball Master (FM). It's 5,000 points. We still have a long way to go before we are even close to catching up with Sca :winkgrin:.